Saturday, February 4, 2017

Take The Crooked With The Straight

I wish I could have seen Denzel Washington when he starred in August Wilson's "Fences".  But luckily for me, it was adapted for the screen, and that was my Oscar-nominated Best Picture of the day.

  • Troy talks A LOT.  That's a lot of lines for an actor.  That's a lot of talking to deal with if you're in his family.  Denzel deserves all of his nominations for this film for the number of words alone.
  • Yet...it's the moments of silence or quiet speaking from him that make Troy human.  Denzel's portrayal of this proud, flawed, vulnerable man is amazing, especially when he just gives a look, some emotion on his face that conveys his anger, his pain.  Augh.  I'm about to cry again.
  • Yup, I was a weepy mess by the end of this film.
  • Viola Davis, too.  My goodness.  Every time she laughed, I laughed with her.  Every moment of pain Rose felt was painful to me, too.  I rooted for her, and I was rewarded for it by the end of the film.  I love seeing such strength on screen.
  • August Wilson. I wish I was an actor so that I could say those words.  Amazing.  Maybe not Denzel's part, though, because that would be way too many words for me to remember.
  • "What law is there sayin' I got to like you?"
  • "I've been standing with you! I gave eighteen years of my life to stand in the same spot as you!"
  • "Some people build fences to keep people out, and other people build fences to keep people in."
  • "Rose gave me a ham sandwich!" <raises sandwich over his head with both hands>
  • Beautiful sky in the last scene.  Were those clouds shaped to make the opening look like an angel?  Called upon by Gabriel?  Cool.  "That's how that go."

No comments:

Post a Comment