Monday, December 9, 2013

The Sing Off 4.1

The Sing-Off is back!  And here we all thought that maybe it had been canceled forever.  But, you know, the show that shot Pentatonix to stardom just can't be denied now, and 2 years later, here it is!

Tonight is the first night of the 4th season, and here we go!  I'll try to post the same night as the actual airing, but I already foresee a couple of conflicting dates, so those will have to wait.  This also means that my Rockapella Holiday show posts will be delayed.  I'm a mess!  On to tonight's show...

Group Performance:  fun. medley
We got introduced to all of the groups, and there's choreography and awkward neck bopping.  I'm just sayin'.  But I love the band fun., so I'll stop with my teasing now.  Actually, I liked the harmonies so much that I listened to it twice, and now I"m behind.  ACK!

Our judges this year:  Shawn Stockman and Ben Folds are back, and replacing Sara is Jewel.  I'm going to confess to y'all right here that I'm not that crazy about Jewel.  I bought her CD back when she debuted, thinking that I'd like her songs, and the recording just didn't please me at all, and I got rid of it somehow.  I guess I felt like whatever I was hearing on the radio just didn't match my CD.  Maybe it was a bad CD.  I don't know, but now I don't like hearing her sing.  I hope she judges better than how I think she sings.

Vocal Rush: "Bottom of the River" by Delta Rae
They are from Oakland, CA, and they are out to prove that Oakland is not a place made up of scary people.  For much better bios of the groups, see the CASA website.  They have a great sound, and I like their energy.  How would they not have energy?  They're in high school!  Very nice solo, too.  I like this song.  Why haven't I heard it before tonight?  I'm old.  Choreography was fun, too. 

Home Free: "Cruise" by Florida Georgia Line
Ooh, Country A Cappella!  Why is this such a novelty, when so many country songs are so great with their harmonies?  Ooh, I like that bass voice!  Seriously, how can I not love these guys?  There are 5 of them, and they have a great sound.  I really liked that a lot.  Ben feels bass in his butt.  Perhaps he needs to have that checked by a doctor.  The bass went up to a Tenor I?  Whoa, that's awesome.  

Princeton Footnotes: "I Knew You Were Trouble" by Taylor Swift
Well, that was fun, and the lights added a lot to their performance.  The sound was good, especially on the low end.  Aw, they love Ben.  I don't really agree with Jewel that the bass part needed to be stronger, but I appreciate her musical knowledge.

Calle Sol: "Pon de Replay" by Rihanna
Their name means "sun street", and they're from Puerto Rico.  And now I have "America" from West Side Story in my head.  I do not remember the original song having Spanish in it, but I like that they made the song their own.   I could have used some more alto, but maybe the gal singing lead is the alto, and the other 3 are sopranos.  Or maybe they meant it to be like that, like Supremes-like.

Street Corner Renaissance: "What Makes You Beautiful" by One Direction
Yay, Doo-Wop!  How much do I love that they doo-wopped a pop song?  I LOVE IT!!!  Can you tell that I have a soft spot for groups with only 5 voices?  Hmmm....wonder what that's about.  That's so cute that Shawn felt the need to hug them right after they sang.  "Children, take notes.  Y'all talk about swag, this is swag."

My pick for this group is Home Free.

Heading to next show:
Street Corner Renaissance
Vocal Rush
Home Free
Calle Sol

Going to the Ultimate Sing-Off:
Princeton Footnotes

Ten:  "Tell Me Something Good" by Rufus and Chaka Khan
Nice lead!  I wonder if they actually need all of those voices, though, since their arrangement isn't full of different notes in the chords.  I mean, the chords aren't lush 6-part harmonies or anything like that.

Element: "Burn" by Ellie Goulding
This song suits them, because it's not too high, which is what usually turns me off from all-female a cappella.  I like that they have a good balance in the lower register.  Nice and strong.

Voice Play: "Feel This Moment" by Cristina Aguilera
I Zumba to this song, so I immediately wanted to dance.  I did a little from my chair.  I like the vocal percussion break.  

The Filharmonic: "Treasure" by Bruno Mars
They're cute, they can sing, they can dance, and they are first generation Pinoy.  YES!  That's the way to play to the judges.  :)  Her name IS "Jewel", after all.  Oh, those are called "love notes"?  I may use that.  "Motown Manila back again!" -- Nick.  Aura later told me that VJ from Down 4 The Count is in this group, which explains why one of them looked so familiar to me.  He's a cutie, and according to Au, a nice guy.  Awwww.

Nick's wife is half-Filipino?  That's cool.

AcoUstiKats: "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke
One of the guys was in Phantom Regiment, one of my favorite drum corps.  I do enjoy how the college guy groups have so much fun on stage.  Also, they sounded good.  "Acousticatastrophe", "Acoustishower", "Acousticommercial" -- what is going on here?  :)  

My pick:  The Filharmonic

Heading to next show:
The Filharmonic
Ten
AcoUstiKats
Elements

Going to the Ultimate Sing-Off:
Voice Play

Ultimate Sing-Off: "Bye Bye Bye" by N'Sync
Princeton Footnotes vs. Voice Play

Ooh, BATTLE TIME!  That's some fun stuff.  I have no favorite.  Is it going to be the same song every week?  They all seemed really prepared for it.

Winner:  Voice Play

Oh, no Swan Song anymore.  

Next show is on Wednesday.  Good night, A cappella Fans!

1 comment:

  1. Yup, Vanessa Minnillo (Nick's wife) is half-Pinoy!

    Yeah, and VJ's a cutie. It's funny because he actually knew my cousin Diane because they'd performed at the same events before! LOL Small world.

    ReplyDelete