Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Sing-Off 4.2

Made it in home with just a few minutes to spare for tonight's Sing-Off!

Group Performance:  Medley of party anthems
Looks like everybody's ready to get down!  Nick:  "Tonight is B.Y.O. Pitch Pipe".

Top 9 here tonight.

Tonight's Challenge:  "Party Anthems"
So the vocal percussion will be the focus tonight, I'm guessing.  Bring it, mouth drummers!

Vocal Rush: "Gonna Make You Sweat" by C+C Music Factory
Aw, the parents.  I zumba to this song.  I wonder if I'll be typing that more than once tonight.  It's fun to do your own echo!  Right on pitch, they did a great job.  See?  Ben's already focusing on the beat, or, in this case, the back beat.  I'll try to listen for that for the other groups, although I'm not much of a drumming expert.

Home Free: "Life Is A Highway" by Rascal Flatts
Uh-oh, they're going to try dancing.  I'm OK if a group doesn't dance, if it means that their vocals are still as spot-on as Home Free's.  Gosh, I love that bass.  "Jump back in the box" -- Shawn.  Funny.  "It has a beginning, a middle and an end....That's how you do a cappella music."  Yes, Shawn, YES.

Voice Play: "Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry
I didn't know that they were all DJs.  Did I miss that the first time?  I thought that they were amusement park performers.  Nice rap, girl!  I thought that there was a phasing problem with the rhythm section, like one of them was slightly behind the other on the offbeat or something.  

Street Corner Renaissance: "Do You Love Me" by The Contours
Yay, classic doo-wop! I love that they learn the beat box stuff from the young'uns.  Those red shoes remind of Geo's Christmas Red shoes that he doesn't wear anymore.  Ooh, he's got moves!  

Element: "Raise Your Glass" by Pink
I could use more beat.  Actually, I could use more vocals, too, what with the number of people in the group.  

AcoUstiKats: "Hey Ya!" by Outcast
Ooh, I like the little pause.  Nice touch with the "Shake It".  That was a weird ending to such a party song, though.  I forgot to pay attention to the rhythm, but Ben found fault with it.

Calle Sol: "Livin' La Vida Loca" by Ricky Martin
They're professional dancers.  So are they professional singers, too?  Should our Voice people go on "So You Think You Can Dance"?  I'm still missing that middle sound when the guy stops singing lead.  Yes, Shawn, arrangement is, indeed, EVERYTHING.  I completely agree.  That's why I'm such a fan of the genius Scott Leonard.  :)

Ten: "Hot in Here" by Nelly
I like that opening.  I like this whole arrangement, actually.  That rocked.  Ben: "Nick, you know I can't even begin to defrock until it's...98 degrees."  

The Filharmonic: "This Is How We Do It" by Montell Jordan
Aw, Niko, my heart is with you, dude.  They are so much fun!  Those yellow shoes are cool.  I like their sound.  

My pick tonight: Ten

Heading to Next Show
Ten
The Filharmonic
Voice Play
Home Free
Street Corner Renaissance
Vocal Rush
Element

Ultimate Sing-Off: "Stronger" by Kelly Clarkson
Calle Sol vs. The AcoUstiKats

Honestly, if it's a battle of voices, I couldn't care less about your sexy dance moves, ladies. Their voices just aren't as strong as the guys', numbers aside.  

Winner: The AcoUstiKats
Phew!  I don't have to worry about the alto-less dancing winning over the alto-inclusive vocals.

Next up: Top 8, tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I got really teary-eyed during the segment on Niko's sister. It was just last year, and I was there at the final viewing. And his dad even asked me if I was gonna sing at the funeral service, but I couldn't because I had a prior commitment. :( I'm sure Danika would have enjoyed seeing her bro up there on stage! Sad.

    ReplyDelete