Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Sing-Off 4.5

Yay!  They opened with Tim's voice!

Group Performance:  "I've Had the Time of My Life" by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes

Jewel is the mentor tonight.  

Challenge:  "Movie Night" -- Songs made famous by a movie

Judges will send 2 teams home, after 3 Ultimate Sing-Offs.

Home Free: "Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison
Well, I'm glad that the 5-guy group is singing the song that I  associate with my beloved Rockapella.  Nice opening VP!  I like the tempo change in the middle when he sang to Jewel.  I thought that it was a little bit too straight-laced, though.  And now I'm having Rockapella-Fangirl-on-Stage memories.  

Vocal Rush: "Against All Odds" by Phil Collins
Ooh, the VP gal is going to sing solo!  That's like Pella's JT singing, making us all listen intently.  Nice transition into her VP role, too.  Ooh, modulate!  Nice.  

The AcoUstiKats: "Old Time Rock and Roll" by Bob Seeger
The morning-after bachelor party thing was cute!  I like all of the different musical styles they inserted into the song.  Of COURSE they did a costume change into the boxer shorts!  They really are entertaining.

The Filharmonic: "Don't Want To Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith
I like those chords at the intro, especially when Joe came in.  They're so calm with this song, and I really like how it's working for them.  That was great, guys!  Nick: "The ladies are swooning yet again."  Joe's so cute, being overwhelmed by his emotions.  Interesting tip from Ben about not using cymbals in beatboxing.  Does he understand that it's not just beatbox?  Oh, wait.  I've said that in a previous season.  The high hat can be useful if your VP is acting as a drum kit.  I prefer that, like with JT, instead of trying to sound like some kind of boom box.  But then again, I prefer drums over synthesizers most days, unless I'm dancing in a club.

"The Sing-Off!  Keep it tuned!" -- Has Nick been saying this on every show, and I've missed it until now?

Voice Play: "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds
I now think of this song as part of my favorite arrangement/mash-up in "Pitch Perfect", so this is now an a cappella-ready song for me.  Not sure I like the chords during the "la la" part, but I was OK with the rest of it.  Be vulnerable, folks!   That is the message of the day.  

Ten: "Skyfall" by Adele
They get better with every performance, and you can tell that they're really starting to gel with each other.  That was great!  I agree that it was great to hearDee's solo be reserved.  See?  Shawn agrees with me that they're getting better and better.

My pick: The Filharmonic

Ultimate Sing-Off

AcoUstikats vs. Voice Play: "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor
That was fun.  I agree with Ben: it was more like a collaboration than a battle.  But that's because a cappella peeps are used to working *together* instead of against each other.  

Vocal Rush vs. Ten: "Fame" by Irene Cara
OK, they've decided to team up with each other so that the judges can't decide and they're both safe.  I like that they're practicing some stepping.  I love when Shawn talks about his high school days at the performing arts high school.  :)

Home Free vs. The Filharmonic: "I'm All Right" by Kenny Loggins
"You're kind of coming out of the ocean like a mermaid." I enjoyed that choreography.  Make it sexy now, VJ!!!  Sexy like a mermaid.  I love it:  A VP battle!  Love the stuff going on behind them, too.   Easily my favorite battle of the night, maybe because it's my two favorite bands in this competition.  Nick, please stop with the golf puns.  Oy.  Shawn doing the gopher move is also awesome.  I love that Jewel has trouble focusing because she's giggling so much.  I have no idea what that's like.  :)  I prefer my "VP Battle" title over "Beatbox Off".  

Results:

Going to next show:
Vocal Rush
Home Free
Ten

Saved by the judges:  The Filharmonic

Thank you, judges!!!!  Phew!  I would have been upset if they went home after that amazing battle.

Tomorrow night:  The Final Four

No comments:

Post a Comment