Saturday, December 28, 2013

Practically Perfect in Every Way

I was fortunate enough to go to a sneak preview screening of "Saving Mr. Banks", thanks to Mox getting into the Disneyland Today shindig.  They had a nice reception with food (had they told us ahead of time, I wouldn't have chowed down on tacos before the event).  They also had photo ops with Mary and Bert, as well as the chimney sweeps.  Suffragettes walked around with "Votes for Women" signs.  Stacia Martin told us about the making of the music for "Mary Poppins", sang a song, and had a print of her own Mary Poppins artwork for everyone in attendance.  There was also a costume contest, and my choice, the guy that dressed as a chimney sweep, won the grand prize. 

I had an issue with the length of time it took to get into the theater, but that was due to security and turning in cameras, even though they said at the reception that the smaller cameras were OK as long as we didn't use them.  Then they told us that we could only keep our cell phones.  It was irritating.   We were treated to some inside info from one of the film's producers (sorry, I can't remember his name).  We saw trailers that people were excited to see, but I had already seen them.  So, whatevs.  On to the movie itself.

  • Tom Hanks is awesome.  I'm glad he was cast in this part, because I don't know who else I would have respected enough to be our beloved Walt.
  • Emma Thompson is a shoe-in for an Academy Award nomination.  She was hilarious, she had me crying, she pissed me off some times.  She did everything she was supposed to do.
  • I think that this is the most impressed I've ever been with Colin Farrell's work.  Great job.
  • BJ Novak and Jason Schwartzman were hilarious as the Sherman Brothers, especially Novak's portrayal of sheer frustration with Travers.  Bradley Whitford, too.  
  • I loved how they made Disneyland look like it had back when Disney brought Travers to the Park.  Also loved the job they with the studio (which still looks a lot like that), and LAX was WOW.
  • OMG, all of the merchandise in Traver's hotel room when she arrived.  That huge Mickey Mouse was perfect.
  • Loved the scene with Paul Giammatti and Thompson sittng on the grass at the studio.
  • "Well, un-make it up."
  • "Get on the horse, Pam!"
  • Lots of applause at the credit dedicating the film to Diane Disney Miller.  I love that I watched this movie with a room filled with true Disney fans.
  • "That'll do." -- Walt, upon hearing "Feed the Birds"
I did cry, although not as much as someone predicted that I would.  Excellent movie, and I don't think that it only applies to us Disneyphiles.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment