Monday, December 23, 2013

The Sing-Off 4.7 -- Finale

It's finale night, I'm baking cookies, I'm wrapping gifts, I'm trying to clean the house...it's a crazy time!  But I didn't want to wait to watch tonight's finale.

Here we go!

Group Performance: "Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson
That sounded nice.  I'm glad that the eliminated groups still got to chime in.

Nick Lachey, Jewel and the groups: "It Had to Be You"

The Acoustikats: "Jingle Bell Rock"
That's cute that they're letting the eliminated groups do Christmas songs for the bumpers.  I would expect something more rockin' from this song, especially with the AcoustiKats.  I guess Rockapella's version is just the best version to me, so I want everyone's to be less boring.

Ten with Shawn Stockman: "Joyful Joyful" from Sister Act 2
Anyone that gets to have Shawn sing their solo has an unfair advantage.  I mean, it's Shawn!  This is one of my favorite songs from that movie.  (My favorite is "His Eye is on the Sparrow").  Nice energy, but not as much as in the movie.  Actually, I think that Shawn has the most energy of all of them, so that doesn't really work for me when it's the group that's competing, not Shawn.

Street Corner Renaissance: "White Christmas"
I've always liked this doo-wop version.  They always look so sharp!

The Filharmonic: "We Wish You A Merry Christmas"
That was great!  It was upbeat and in tune, and I miss them even though they were only eliminated 4 days ago.

So then all the groups get to talk to Pentatonix, and they give them some advice.

Pentatonix: "I Need Your Love" by Ellie Goulding
They rock.  Seirously.  Why don't I have any of their CDs yet?  That needs to be remedied soon.

Calle Sol: "Feliz Navidad"
Well, no other group up there should sing this song tonight.

Home Free: "I Want Crazy" by Hunter Hayes
So they don't need a judge to sing with them...unless they're getting one later.  I've never heard this song before, but  like it, especially the way they sing it.  Yes, please include that awesome bass voice solo when you're in the finale!  Thanks!  I applauded.  Oh, the judges are talking after this one, so I guess the "Joyful Joyful" thing wasn't judged.  My bad.

98 Degrees: "I'll Be Home For Christmas"
Nick gets to sing a lot tonight!  They sound really nice.  Nick asked to be judged.  Cute.  Almosr as cute as Nick's dimples.  How has she not seen them live before?  Has she been strapped for cash?

Princeton Footnotes: "Deck The Hall"
i liked that rendition!  I also like the plaid.  

Secret Santa time with the judges and Nick.  Why isn't Nick giving that gift to everyone watching the show?  :)

Vocal Rush with Ben Folds: "Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth"
That sounded nice.  I don't think I've ever heard the lyrics that clearly before.  Maybe I was just always freaked out by the Bowie/Bing combination.

Element: "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree"
I like her voice in that range.  

Voice Play:; "Jingle Bells"
I like that last "Jingle Bell Jingle Bell Jingle".  Been waiting to hear that since I heard the promos, and it wasn't sung nearly enough in the song tonight.

Ten: "Love On Top" by Beyonce
I don't know this song.  Nice key change!  That blonde-haired woman can wail, man!    Haha,  "a box of assorted chocolates".  Shawn demonstrated his Stank Face, and Ten is happy.

Home Free with Jewel: "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"
Pretty.  But why is she now sounding like some other singer?  Like some old-time crooning singer?  It's kinda strange.  

So, are people actually learning any musical terms from this show?

Pate Benatar, Neal Giraldo and a bunch of groups: "We Belong"
I so totally love this song, and it lends so well to hearing that multitude of voices.  Also, Pat Benatar has still got a great, powerful voice.

Vocal Rush: "Roar" by Katy Perry
Great performance.  They really are a great group.  

My pick:  Home Free

Results

3rd Place: Vocal Rush
2nd Place:   Ten
1st Place: H O M E   F R E E !!!!!!!!

YES!  I'm so very happy for them.  They were, indeed, solid from the start, and I wish them the best with their newfound fame.  Congratulations, guys!  (I told you that 5 guys is the best ensemble, didn't I?).  

Rub the beard!

No comments:

Post a Comment