Saturday, May 2, 2009

The 3rd Rock From the Sun

Last week, on a break from not actually getting drunk at DCA, I went to the theater to see "earth" with Linda.  I did want to see it at the El Capitan in order to see the animals in the pre-show, but stuff like interview exhaustion got in the way.

I love the "Planet Earth" series.  I even was there to congratulate the producer when he won the Emmy Award.  So I was happy that I was going to be able to see parts of the series on the big screen, because the cinematography is outstanding.

My thoughts:
  • I'm not sure I liked the whole "plot" line with the animal families.  I actually didn't need it in the series, but I understand that perhaps it helps to tell kids a story with all of the footage.  My favorite portions didn't really have anything to do with the families.
  • Yay!  The birds of paradise! 
  • I love watching those baby ducks jump out of the tree.
  • Cats seem to be hungry all the time (especially the big ones).  Far from being the cute things that my friends keep telling me they are.
  • Loved hearing James Earl Jones mention the Circle of Life.  If he hadn't, I would have truly been disappointed.  I mean, Hello!  He's frickin' Mufasa!
  • Elephants need to be given goggles in order to get through the sand storms.
  • Giraffes are damn cool, especially when they're wading in water.
  • The elephants swimming around reminded me of the Jungle Cruise.
  • I'm glad they included some of the footage of the actual camera crew's efforts.
  • I didn't know that they would be showing "Oceans" for next year's Earth Day until I saw the trailer.  Awesome.
If you liked the movie at all, I highly recommend watching the entire series.  It is now available on DVD, and is also shown on Animal Planet from time to time.


No comments:

Post a Comment