Sunday, September 16, 2018

The Maestro, Indeed

John Williams: Maestro of the Movies
40th Anniversary Celebration!
Friday, August 31, 2018
Hollywood Bowl
Hollywood, CA

A couple of months ago, Rudy said that he was going to get tickets to this show and asked if I'd like to join in on the fun.  I said yes, but wasn't sure if we actually had tickets because I didn't hear from him after that.  Luckily for me, he did get the tickets, and told me earlier that week.  I put on the Superman shirt I got at this year's WonderCon, and got on the shuttle in Arcadia.  Why Superman?  Well, I couldn't decide on which of the twenty or so Star Wars shirts to wear, and then I realized I had a Superman shirt and decided to wear that instead, because "Superman: The Movie" is my favorite film score EVER, and guess who composed it?  JW himself. (Ooh, I just did a Google search, and that film is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year, and there will be limited screenings of it.  I hope I can go!).
Marquee Shot

Rudy and Brian were waiting for me when I got off of the bus, and I wanted to go to the Bowl store first so I could buy a shirt.  I also bought light sabers for the 3 of us because I couldn't bring my light saber umbrella.  Brian was in a wheelchair, so I learned the elevator route.  Our seats were supposed to be in the top tier, but the wheelchair wouldn't go up there.  We were asked if we'd like to be re-seated, and they found us seats which were closer and didn't require Brian to get out of his chair to use his crutches.  Well, that's nice!  We were seated next to a lady whom was very friendly and I now know that I can transport wine in a lighter container than a big old bottle.




David Newman conducted the first half of the show.  I love how he's unapologetically rumply.

The LA Phil played the Star-Spangled Banner.  Flags were still at half staff to honor the passing of US Senator John McCain.

Olympic Fanfare and Theme by John Williams
The US Army Herald Trumpets took the stage and I got all excited.  What a perfect song for them to perform!  Clips of various Olympic moments played on the screen, mostly highlights of recent years, of Olympians from different nations.
Torch Lighting

With Fireworks

The Magnificent Seven

"The Cave Sequence"  from Raiders of the Lost Ark by John Williams (with film)
I love this!

"A New Beginning" from Minority Report by John Williams
I recognized this music, but didn't realize it was from this movie until I read the program just now.

"Flight to Neverland" from Hook by John Williams
Clips from all kinds of flight were shown.  Was I the only one that cheered when they finally showed Robin Williams flying as Peter Pan?  Because that's THIS MUSIC, people!  Some people turned on their light sabers during the very brief Star Wars clips.

Celebrating the Bernstein Centennial - To Lenny by John Williams
Lots of different cues from Bernstein's work.  Nice.

Overture from West Side Story by Leonard Bernstein
Rudy asked me if JW wrote the score for WSS.  I later found out that he was the studio pianist for the film.  I love WSS, so I was really happy to see the clips from the film.

Suite from On the Waterfront by Leonard Bernstein
Ah, OK, now that I've read the program, this makes sense.  I wasn't sure what this piece was, although I was familiar with the music.  

<Intermission>

The Maestro himself took the stage, and said that he had been trying to convince his guest to come to this show for 40 years, and he finally succeeded.  He called Steven Spielberg to the stage.  
John Williams

Spielberg and Williams have been working together for 44 years!  Spielberg sat in a chair on the stage after introducing the next piece.



"With Malice Toward None'  from Lincoln by John Williams
Thomas Hooten, trumpet soloist

Rudy said that he has never seen "Lincoln", but wants to after hearing the music.  Yeah, that was a great film.  Beautiful job by Hooten. What are the odds that a trumpet players name would have the word "hoot" in it?  Hmmm...had it been "Tooten", I would have lost it.

Techniques of Film Scoring
Spielberg talked about his movies being nothing without Williams' scores.  To illustrate, we watched "The Circus Train Chase" scene from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade without the score.  (This was the start of the film, with River Phoenix playing the young Indiana Jones.)  So quiet!  Just "oofs" and sound effects of a train engine and fighting.  Spielberg made little comments while we watched, like "That's when Indiana got his whip" and "That's where Harrison has a real scar".  We then watched it again, this time with the orchestra playing the score, and it was just genius.  

OK, so you know what's cool?  When this was recorded in the sound studio, Brian was there (he was a PA for Spielberg back then).  We told him to wave at Steven.

"The Duel" from The Adventures of Tintin by John Williams
A montage of swordplay was shown, and I was happy every time they showed clips from "Princess Bride".  Yes, they showed lightsabers in this montage, too.  I was disappointed, though, that I didn't see anything from "The Goonies", although I guess there wasn't any sword fighting, just Sloth acting like a pirate on the ship.  Never mind.

Theme from Schindler's List By John Williams
Bing Wang, Violin Soloist

Gorgeous.  I'm pretty sure I saw tears on Spielberg's face from way up at my seat.

Spielberg: "I can direct bicycles to fly, but John's music truly makes them airborne."

Finale from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial by John Williams
We watched that whole thing, which starts with Elliott going to the van where E.T. is in the box, all the way to the end.  Because I hadn't cried enough during the evening, I guess.  If this music does nothing to your soul, you are dead inside.

Encore

"The Rebellion is Reborn" from "Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi" by John Williams
Theme from "Star Wars" by John Williams
"Imperial March" by John Williams  

They brought the herald trumpeters back, because you can't play that march without a bunch of trumpets.

Light saber time!  Lots and lots of light sabers. 

Light sabers behind us

Light sabers in front of us (including ours)

I pointed out one of the french horn players to Rudy because he looked like Barry of Rockapella.  Barry is from LA and played the french horn, you know.  It's possible that was him.  Not probable, but possible.

I said my goodbyes to Rudy, Brian, because I needed to hurry up and get on the shuttle.  Ooh, coach bus, nice and comfy.

That was a great evening. Thank you, Rudy, for getting the tickets!

Thank you, Steven Spielberg, for spending your time with all of us at the Bowl.

Thank you, John Williams, for the beautiful gift of music you've written and shared with the world.  You are truly the Maestro.

No comments:

Post a Comment