Saturday, February 17, 2018

Wakanda Forever

Glenndy picked me up at my house so we could carpool to the El Capitan Theatre to see "Black Panther".  When we got to the parking structure, we saw Mox getting out of his car.  I tried to wave to him and say hi while knocking on the window, but he didn't hear me.  


Took these pics while waiting in line to
enter the theater.  There was a puff of smoke
on the screen between each image.


I picked up my tickets at will call and caught up with them inside.  The atmosphere was very different from times I've seen other films here.  It was LOUD.  This was partly due to the volume of the music being played by the DJ.  Yes, a DJ!  You know I love the organ they play here, but this was a nice contrast, and she played songs that I like, so I was bopping in my seat while we waited for the movie to start.

El Capitan Stage

Wish I could have captured her face,
but the spotlight on her was too bright.
Many people were dressed in African-style clothing and prints.  I felt all blah in my t-shirt and pants, but I have no African wear, so maybe I'll need to get some if there is a sequel.  The movie started late, as usual, but at least it wasn't more than 10 minutes late.  I mean, at least after we heard from the El Cap guy, telling us to stay until after the credits to watch an exclusive behind-the-scenes film.  We saw trailers for "A Wrinkle in Time", "Solo", and "Avengers: Infinity War".  It took a while for everyone to calm down.

  • I like the animation during the background story of Wakanda.
  • I also like the really cool black Vibranium sand.
  • "Don't freeze."  "I never freeze."  T'challa sees Nakia: "Hiiiiii."
  • When Daniel Kaluya's W'kabi has a stare down with T'challa, someone in the audience said, "Get out."  HA!
  • Another audience member was screaming when T'challa fell down the waterfall.  Like maybe we should have called an ambulance for her.  Girl, I get that you're into this movie.  Are you watching it in virtual reality and you think you're the one falling down?
  • Loved all of the costumes and the make-up, especially Angela Bassett's dress during the coronation.  That Black Panther suit is also really cool, with the African symbols in the pattern.  
  • I really liked the visuals in the scene when T'challa meets with his father, with all of the purple in the sky.  Actually, I liked all of the scenery, but this one stood out for me.
  • That scene reminded me of "The Lion King" when Mufasa was telling Simba about being a king someday.
  • Rhinos!  Rhinos with armor!
  • Dude, Killmonger, that's a lot of bumps on your skin.  What are those called?  They're not like ink tattoos.  How does one administer them in real life?
  • I have a new font to learn now.  Not that I ever actually learn them very well.
  • Wow, the Wakandan guard (Dora Milaje) kicks ass!  So cool.
  • I love that sister Shuri invents all of the tech and gets really excited about it.  
  • "The real question is What. Are. THOSE?!"
  • I would have stolen more than one flower thingy.  Hey, you're already taking one, might as well take another just in case.
  • I want this film score.  Very cool.
  • That's a car chase!  Loved the ending, though, with just the seat sliding on the road.
  • I prefer the black/purple suit.
  • "I will feed you to my children.  Just kidding.  We're vegetarians."
  • "Don't scare me like that, colonizer!"
  • "It's a Bugatti spaceship!"

Okoye

I really like the panther medallion

W'kabi, Okoye and M'baku

Ramonda, T'challa and Killmonger

T'challa and Killmonger

My favorite: Ramonda

Close up to see the top layer of very
thin, shimmery fabric.  Gorgeous.

Shuri, Zuri, and Nakia 

Black Panther


 Great movie!  I look forward to seeing it again.




No comments:

Post a Comment