Sunday, February 25, 2018

Dress You Up In My Love

It's Oscar season!  Next weekend is the 90th Academy Awards, and yesterday was Day One of AMC Theaters' Best Picture Showcase.  First up was "Phantom Thread".

  • I think if Phantom Regiment ever performs a show based on the music from this movie, they should title it "Phantom Threadgiment".  Yeah, I'm silly.
  • That was a huge breakfast he ordered.  How did he even think at that point, "I'm going to eat dinner tonight"?
  • Ooh, his car is pretty.
  • "If you want to have a staring contest with me, you will lose."  Vickey Krieps did such a lovely job in this role.  I could see why Reynolds fell in love with her.  Why she for him, I'm not quite sure because he was such a jerk about a lot of stuff.
  • Dude is even less of a morning person than I am.
  • What is up with Cyril smelling Alma when they first meet?
  • The shot of the house in the country made the house look like some kind of toy.
  • I've decided that mushrooms will not be on the menu on Oscar night.
  • Man, what was their mother like?  Those two siblings are something else.
  • Why didn't Phantom Mom tell him Alma was poisoning him?
  •  "The tea is going out; the interruption is staying right here with me."
  • I did not like that wedding dress for the Belgian princess. I also didn't like his Mom's dress.  My favorite dress was the rose-colored one he made for Alma for the photo shoot.
  • Interesting amalgam of the cacophonous NYE music and the classical music when he arrives and finds her.
  • "Let me be unambiguous."  Lesley Manville was great in this part, and I'm glad she received a nomination for it.
  • I tried not to think of "Lincoln" when I watched Daniel Day-Lewis in this final role of his. He was just so tall and his legs seemed too long for the furniture that it reminded me of that a lot.  That's my fave DDL film.  Happy Retirement to you, sir, and congratulations on such a successful career. Three Oscars.  Wow.

Next up: Lady Bird

No comments:

Post a Comment