Monday, February 19, 2018

This Is Me, Loving This Movie

Last month, my godbrother posted this video on facebook.




That's the moment I decided that I needed to see "The Greatest Showman" before it left theaters.  I had been iffy about it when I saw the teaser trailer.  A later trailer piqued my interest more when I heard a little bit of the music.  But this?  Hugh Jackman's love for this music and his commitment to getting it greenlit makes my heart throb.  So I went today due to the Presidents Day holiday.


  • Seeing Jeremy Jordan starting off the song in the video, I thought he'd be somewhere in the movie, but I guess he was just there to sing Zac's part.  I would have loved to see them singing together.
  • I did like seeing Zac Efron sing again, though.  Yes, I liked the High School Musicals.
  • The movie had me from the first four bars of the first song, "The Greatest Show".  I mean, come on!  The energy!  The lyrics!  The music! 
  • Then "A Million Dreams" had me crying, and I wondered if I should leave and get some tissues.  You know I'm a sucker for people trying to achieve their dreams.
  • Kid steals a loaf of bread, not knowing that later he'll grow up and become Jean Valjean.
  • " Well they're laughing anyway, kid, so you might as well get paid."
  • How did they get all those banners and flyers done?   It's not like they had Xerox (tm) machines back then.
  • Those were zebras leading their carriage, right?  Or probably painted horses because they were taller than zebras.
  • When Anne runs away from the theater, I thought to myself, "He needs to go after her and sing her a song!"  I liked that trapeze number, "Rewrite the Stars".  Beautiful choreography.
  • Choreography, BTW.  I love it when guys dance together.  I especially loved it during Jackman's and Efron's "The Other Side" with the chairs and the drinks and the bar.
  • "This is Me" has been nominated for an Academy Award, and rightfully so.  I love the message of this song.  I love the music.  I love how triumphant it feels.  I hope they perform it at the Oscars.  Actually, can they just perform all of the songs?
  • Looking at IMDB, I see that Alex Wong from "So You Think You Can Dance" was one of the ensemble dancers.  I'm going to look for him next time I see it, because you know I'll be watching this one again and again and again.
  • I guess Rebecca Ferguson didn't sing her own song.  Loren Allred sings it beautifully.
  • I like that shot of Charity's blue scarf blowing in the wind when they're on the beach.
  • "No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else."
I wish I could see this again in the theater, but I don't think I'll have time.  Got some Best Picture Showcase to watch soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment