Sunday, February 15, 2015

We Shall Overcome

The final movie of the Big Picture Showcase yesterday was "Selma".  

  • This is the only movie of the day that had me in lots of tears.
  • David Oyelowo is amazing as MLK Jr.  I felt like I was watching King himself because he had the speech pattern down.
  • Was that Shaq in the crowd at the march on the bridge?
  • It's hard to believe that 100 years after the Emancipation Proclamation, racism was still so rampant...and 150 years later, it's still there.  People, come on.  Stop it.  I think this affects me even more because I'm currently reading a book about Abraham Lincoln.
  • Giovanni!!!
  • I didn't know that happened to Mahalia Jackson's son.  
  • I thought it was really cool that MLK could just call Mahalia and ask to hear God, and she'd sing to him.
  • I don't know if I would have been one of the people to go to Selma and march, but I think those people were quite brave to do that, after either being there themselves or seeing the TV coverage of the first attempt.  
  • I like the song "Glory".  I'm looking forward to a performance of that at next week's Oscars.
  • See, people, THIS is why we vote.  
That was a good film to wrap up the day.  3 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment