Saturday, February 14, 2015

Bloody Drums

Today I went to the AMC Theaters Best Picture Showcase, Day 1.  The first film was "The Grand Budapest Hotel", which I had already seen on TV, but it was nice to see it on the big screen.  

The first new film to me was "Whiplash".


  • It's a movie about musicians.  How could I not like it?
  • J.K. Simmons' character, Fletcher, is an a**hole.  Simmons is fantastic as this character.
  • How does anyone think that girl has a big chin? 
  • "I'M UPSET!!!" 
  • I might need to get this soundtrack.
  • I love musicians, even obsessive ones.
  • "Not my tempo."  
  • I couldn't tell if he was rushing or dragging, either.
  • Why all the shots of little details, like the spider?  Was that meant as an "attention to detail that artists experience" thing, or did it mean something else?
  • I honestly didn't know that drummers play until they bleed and need ice, like dancers practice until their toes bleed.  I've never done that with any of my instruments.
  • Dude, that is a messed up thing to do to a guy's hope and career.
  • Zildjian stuff!
  • Oh, that's where I know Miles Teller!  Divergent!  He actually does play the drums, and is playing on some of the soundtrack.  Very cool.
  • Paul Reiser, where have you been?  
  • Was that a 14/8 time signature?  Crazy.
  • That is a long-ass drum solo.
I really liked this movie, even though I wanted to wring Fletcher's neck.  

No comments:

Post a Comment