Monday, October 31, 2011

The Sing-Off 3.5

I'm going to preface this post by telling y'all that I already know who goes home tonight.  Some unsolicited advice:  Don't follow CASA's twitter feed if you're not watching this show live as it airs on the East Coast.  They apparently have no concern for people in a different time zone or for people who may be otherwise occupied and have the show recording on their DVR.  Bastards.  I, however, will try not to pepper my post with hints of who will leave, especially since at this point of the game, I like all of the groups and would be sorry to see anyone go.


So here we go, the top 7.


Group Performance: "This is Hallowe'en" by Danny Elfman, "Werewolves of London" by Warren Zevon and "Ghostbusters" by Ray Parker, Jr.
Elfman - Awesome!!!  This must have been really fun for them, especially with all of the cool chords, not to mention their costumes.  


Tonight's challenge:  sing a 3-song medley of a pop superstar, each with a different tempo, key and groove.


Urban Method:  "What's My Name", "Umbrella", and "Only Girl (In the World)" by Rihanna
Yikes.  The transition between the first two songs did not work at all.  I've decided that the gal that sings lead on the 1st and 3rd songs (Katie) rocked it, but not so much the other girls.  Eeww, how did Ben like that 1st transition?  Blech.  


Vocal Point: "Don't Be Cruel", "Can't Help Falling In Love" and "Jailhouse Rock" by Elvis Presley
They make me smile.  I like the harmonies on the last song, and I like hearing the audience screaming, as should happen for Elvis.  That went by way too fast.


Afro-Blue: "What Have You Done For Me Lately", "When I Think of You" and "Miss You Much" by Janet Jackson (Miss Jackson if you're nasty)
Oh, I love their harmonies (except for a couple in the first song).  Scat, girl!  I really liked that a lot.  Oh, Shawn is worried about the non-cerebral ones in the audience.  Stop it, Shawn!  Then Sara says that she got lost.   Sigh.  It makes me think less of them when they say stuff like that on national television.


Dartmouth Aires: "Killer Queen", "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Somebody to Love" by Queen
Queen's songs are difficult to sing, but they pulled them off quite well.  There were a couple of high notes that not everyone could handle that well, but the group was great nonetheless.  I like the transition between the 2nd and 3rd songs, and they really rocked that last piece.  That last bit was just...oh, yes.  Why don't I have a Queen Greatest Hits CD?  I love these songs!  


Pentatonix: "Oops...I Did It Again", "Toxic" and "Hold It Against Me" by Britney Spears
Oh, that outfit is short!  I like hearing a guy singing a Spears song.  It makes the song not so, um...slutty.  Their VP is just awesome.  I think some chords didn't work for me, though.  Sara can't even say the word "spectacular", she's so overcome with their performance.


Delilah: "Fallin'", "A Woman's Worth" and "If I Ain't Got You" by Alicia Keys
Wait.  Who's doing the bass drum beat?  The same girl doing the high hat?  Because that's cooool.  If it's a different person, it's still cool, just not JT cool.  Nice job, ladies!  I wish that they did their rock songs as well as they do their ballad-y stuff.  


Yellowjackets: "The River of Dreams", "She's Always a Woman" and "Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel
I'm glad that they didn't go easy and pick "For The Longest Time".  I wish that they were more clear and didn't sound like so many people singing at one time.  Is it me, or did that second piece need to go a little quicker at the beginning?  I think that "Uptown Girl" matches their style more than the other songs.  I like that Shawn calls them "The YJs".  Poor Sara, being creeped out by Ben's wind.  


Special guest performance
Committed (last season's winner): "Forever", "With You", and "Yeah (3x)" by Chris Brown
Aw, it's so good to see these guys again!  Ah, yes, that luscious harmony.  I would like a copy of their CD, please.  :)  


The top 6 staying for the next round: Dartmouth Aires, Pentatonix, Vocal Point, Delilah, Afro-Blue and Urban Method.


Yellowjackets' swan song: "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba
They sang the NBC tones!  Aw, guys, sorry to see you go.  Wow, look at all of your fans!  


Next week, the groups each get to sing 2 songs, and somebody cries.







No comments:

Post a Comment