Monday, October 3, 2011

The Sing Off 3.2.1

That title means 3rd season, 2nd round, part 1, BTW.


Tonight, we get 2 rounds of challenges from the 1st week's top 6.


Group Performance: "Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane
I think that one guy looks a lot like Will Arnett.  That was really well done.  


1st challenge:  Today's Radio Hits


Vocal Point:  "Never Say Never" by Justin Bieber
Still without their 9th member, but one of the guys was in a boy band in Utah.  Not only do they have Will Arnett, they also have a guy that looks like Ryan Reynolds.  I'm not familiar with this song, but they did a good job with it.  Sara, what would non-wholesome Thundercats be like? 


Delilah: "What Do You Want From Me" by Adam Lambert/Pink
 That's hard to open on pitch with those intervals, but the soloist (Kendall) pulled it off, and I like how they come in one by one, building on the harmony.  Nice!


Urban Method: "Just Can't Get Enough" by The Black-Eyed Peas
I don't know this song, either.  I'm old now, I guess.  I liked the sexy chemistry between the leads.  The rap seems angrier than the lyrics need it to be.  


Afro Blue: "American Boy" by Estelle feat. Kanye West
Ooh, I like that jazzy opening!  I also like how the guys take over during the Kanye portion.  I like their version more than the original.  Shawn loved that!  


Yellowjackets: "Dynomite" by Taio Cruz
They now have *leather* yellow jackets!  I now think there are too many voices on stage, which usually means that they're not singing as one unit.  Maybe I just have a hard time with huge groups singing modern a cappella, I don't know.


Kinfolk 9: "Price Tag" by Jessie J
First lead gal's sound drops out on her low notes.  I'm not crazy about their harmonies.


My pick for this challenge is Afro Blue.


2nd challenge:  Songs from the 60s


OK, now Nick is wearing his suit jacket, to be more old school, I guess.


Delilah: "Heat Wave" by Martha and the Vandellas
I need more soul, Miss First Soloist.  MORE.  I like their silver shoes and their cute dresses.  Nick, yes, you did.  You dared to say 98 Degrees.


Urban Method: "Dance To The Music" by Sly and the Family Stone
Bass sounded good, but you know how I am: he's no Geo.  There needs to be more sound from him, I think.  


Vocal Point: "The Way You Look Tonight" by Frank Sinatra
See?  It's Will Arnett!  I kind of like how they play with the tempo.  Sara swoons.  :)  Oh, Will's name is actually Jake.  I'm sure to forget that the next time I see him.  


Afro-Blue: "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye
That guy has a great voice for this song.  


Yellowjackets: "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You"  by Frankie Valli
Not liking the harmonies, guys.  I like how the lead played to Sara, though.  


Kinfolk 9: "Let It Be" by The Beatles
I did not like that opening chord.  Seriously, can you tell that I'm not fond of this group?


My pick for this set:  Vocal Point.


Results:
Moving on to the next round:  Vocal Point, Urban Method, Yellowjackets, Afro-Blue and Delilah


OK, I don't have to worry about my least favorite group winning now.


Kinfolk 9's Swan Song: "Loser" by Beck
Yeah, um, I don't like this arrangement, either.  


Next week:  the second bracket take on the same challenges.













No comments:

Post a Comment