Monday, October 10, 2011

The Sing-Off 3.2.2

Tonight, 2 rounds of challenges from the 2nd bracket of a cappella groups: Today's Biggest Hits and Classics from the '60s.


1st Challenge:  Today's Biggest Hits


Deltones: "Edge of Glory" by Lady Gaga
I didn't like that first chord when the rest of the gals joined the soloists.  The soloist did a great job, though.


Pentatonix: "Your Love Is My Drug" by Ke$ha
The lighting kinda makes the gal look naked-ish.  I liked that remix part.  I wish they could sound more full (without adding members).  


The Collective: "Rocketeer" by Far East Movement
I don't know this song, but I do know that some of those harmonies don't work for me.  Poor soloist with her laryngitis: I'm sure that hurt her to sing, and she did drop out of a couple of notes.  Whoa, her eyelashes are freaking me out.  Whoa, the other gal's eyelashes are freaking me out, too.  Good advice from Ben about how to bring the blend together by relaxing.  


North Shore: "The Lazy Song" by Bruno Mars
Aw, they're like me: they're old and don't know the songs on the radio.  But I do know this one because I have the CD, and I love it, BTW.  This is actually the perfect song for their style.  That was great!


Dartmouth Aires: "Animal" by Neon Trees
I think it's hysterical that most of my knowledge of current songs is due to my love for "Glee", like, for instance, this song. A few chords sounded wrong at the end, but the song was energetic and fun, and overall, I liked it.  Shawn loves the pants.  


Sonos: "Viva La Vida" by Coldplay
I like those opening chords.  So here's my question: if you can't do the bass without the octave pedal, shouldn't you somehow rearrange the song so that one of the gals is doing the bass part, albeit a bit higher?  Is that what they did?  Honestly, I think they may be top-heavy in their voices anyway, and could do with another low voice, because it's difficult to sing on pitch without the foundation of a bass.  You see?  She can do the bass in the future if needed, too.  


My pick for this round:  North Shore


2nd Challenge:  Classics from the 60s
OK, I know this is taped, so Nick trying to do the synergy thing with the now-canceled "Playboy Club" just didn't fit.  I guess the editor didn't think of taking out that line before letting the show air.


Pentatonix: "Piece of My Heart" by Janis Joplin
They don't get tired of that same piece of choreography that they did during the entire song?  Oh, that last chord didn't gel like it should have.  


Deltones: "You Can't Hurry Love" by Diana Ross and the Supremes
That was decent, but kind of unremarkable for me.  The song itself is kind of repetitve and boring to me anyway, but nothing really grabbed me.


North Shore: "Unchained Melody" by The Righteous Brothers
Unlike the last song, this song has personal meaning for me, and I'm glad that it's North Shore doing it, because I'm confident that they won't sing it so that I hate it.  I was right.  


The Collective: "Hold On, I'm Coming" by Sam & Dave
Oh, is that what this song is called?  So I'm too old and too young for the songs for this round.  Good job with this one.


Sonos: "I Want You Back" by The Jackson Five
Interesting arrangement.  I liked that!  Shawn and Ben didn't, but they're not me, although I do agree that a piece of a throwback would have added to my enjoyment of it.  


Dartmouth Aires: "Pinball Wizard" by The Who
They rocked that!


My pick for this round: Dartmouth Aires


Results:
Moving on to the next round: North Shore, Dartmouth Aires, Pentatonix, Deltones and The Collective


Innovation doesn't win here, I guess.


Sonos' swan song: "It's So Hard To Say Goodbye to Yesterday" by Boyz II Men.  Really?  Shawn's group?  That's bold, but I'm glad they didn't use it for a regular song, because it was way too high for my taste.  It also once again proves that B2M needs a bass.  ;)


Next week:  The Top Ten

No comments:

Post a Comment