Monday, October 24, 2011

The Sing-Off 3.4

It's time for the Top 8 groups!


Group Performance: "Nothin' on You" by B.O.B. featuring Bruno Mars
Rap it, guys!  Not really liking the too-pretty high notes from Delilah.  The style just doesn't match the rest of the song.  Not that I wouldn't do the same thing in order to stay on pitch.  ;)  


It's Hip-Hop night!  Ooh, this will be interesting...and the bottom 2 get to do an actual sing-off battle.  I'm excited now.


Dartmouth Aires:  "Club Can't Handle Me" by Flo Rida
Get those words out, Henry!  That's the way!  Hmm...some chords during "Get your hands up!" are not really working.  That was fun, though.  I don't know where Ben heard Polka music, but OK.


Afro-Blue: "Killing Me Softly" by The Fugees
I didn't know that Roberta Flack is a Howard alum.  Interesting, and I'm glad they're playing tribute by doing her song, even though it's the Lauryn Hill-led Fugees version.  Ooh, I like the lead voice on this one.  I also really like that they always try to make songs their own.  Like the song...aw ong...aw ong.  Nick and Ben have lost their rappin' minds.  Sara loves this show: I really hope so, because she's on the darn thing.  


The Collective: "Give Me Everything" by Pit Bull Featuring Ne-Yo
I am not familiar with this song.  I feel like they need another female on the la-la part.  Not that they have another one to spare.  Ruby's leather-looking leggings are awesome.  


Vocal Point: "I'll Be Missing You" by Puff Daddy
Aw, it's a nice song for Ben's dad.  Some of the chords aren't jelling right, but I like Ben's solo.  I agree with the judges regarding the pitch issues, but I don't think they should let them stay just because they are letting the group emote, because, really, the show needs to go on, and you need to give the audience all you've got.  If they keep them safe, it should be for all of their other work so far, because this group is really good.


My pick for this set:  Afro-Blue


Guaranteed to advance to next week:  Afro-Blue, Dartmouth Aires, and Vocal Point.


Urban Method: "Airplanes" by B.O.B. featuring Hayley Williams
If they don't nail this, they're in trouble, since this is their genre.  Ooh, crickets!  I like the opening duet with the female voices.  I'm also enjoying the choreography.  The rap was good, too.  Very well done, as I hoped they would do.  


Pentatonix: "Love Lockdown" by Kanye West
I don't know this song.  I also didn't know Urban Method's song.  I'm kind of out of it.  I love the way they do their dynamics, as well as those futuristic sounds.  Anyway, that was really cool.  


Delilah: "How to Love" by Lil Wayne
Are they going to rap or not?  I'm confused.  Blonde lead was having a little problem with her pitch at first.  OK, so I guess it's a "no" on the rap.  


Yellowjackets: "The Show Goes On" by Lupe Fiasco
Those boys are so cute.  Some of the harmonies are not really working for me, though.  I also could have used some dynamics, although I liked that last solo rap/singing by Jamal.  Maybe they should have been quieter behind him, because there are so many of them.  


My pick for this set:  Urban Method


Guaranteed to advance to next week: Pentatonix, Delilah, and Urban Method.


Sing-off Battle is therefore between The Collective and Yellowjackets, singing "Just a Dream" by Nellly.


The Collective: Didn't like that opening chord's high note, or, really, any of the high notes that are happening.  


Yellowjackets: OK, I just noticed their cool Nikes.  Anyway, they sound much better on this than The Collective.  It's much more fitting to their style, and the lead KILLED it.


Judges' picks:
Shawn: Yellowjackets
Ben: Collective
Sara: Yellowjackets


Therefore, advancing to next week:  Yellowjackets.  Yay!  Sorry, Collective, but you never won me over, even with the improvement.


The Collective's Swan Song: "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" by Guns 'n' Roses.  I don't remember hearing that guy's voice before, but he has a pretty one.


Next week:  Superstar Medleys, with special guest performance by Committed.







No comments:

Post a Comment