Sunday, October 30, 2011

"Malibu" in Malibu

Rockapella at Pepperdine
Sunday, October 16, 2011
Smothers Theatre
Malibu, CA

This morning, some members of the PellaPosse joined Team MousePlanet at the Disneyland Resort for the annual CHOC Walk 5K, a fundraiser for Children's Hospital of Orange County.  We had signed up for the walk before we knew that Rockapella would be in So Cal, not that it would have stopped us.  It did stop me, however, from also joining a Zumba Master Class between the walk time and the concert time.  I heard that I missed a great class, but I can just imagine myself arriving at Pepperdine with spaghetti-like legs on top of a really cute pair of shoes.  But anyway, here is a picture of us prior to the walk, with our MP hats and CHOCWalk shirts.  
Walking for the Kids

After the walk, we partook in yummy chocolate chip cookies from Doubletree and got free stuff like Doritos and soda.  Afterward, I went to Target for some stuff that did not include a comb, because I could just go home for that.  Then I got pretty for the Pella.

Jeff, Wendy and Jenn arrived, and we carpooled over to Malibu.  This drive was a much better one than I had experienced on the way to Reduced Shakespeare.  Wendy had kindly bought mini-cupcakes on our behalf to give to the guys in celebration of Scott's birthday, so we went to the campus first to drop them off.  The guard at the entrance was very nice (and cute!), and gave me a token to use for parking in the lot, since nobody would be available at the parking booth.  There must have been an event there that day, because there were cars all over the place and it was well before the show time.  It might have also been due to Sunday church services, as the school is a Christian university.  Anyway, we went to the box office, and the dude there said that he would make sure that the band would get their cupcakes.

I was sad that we couldn't keep the cool token, but we left the campus-with-the-gorgeous-view-of-the-ocean and drove to Coogies for dinner.  Jenn and I enjoyed the short ribs special, although the wasabi mashed potatoes were a bit too spicy for me.  (I can't eat spicy food these days, so my tolerance isn't what it used to be).  I also had some of Wendy's sweet potato fries (which came with her Coogie's burger, which she enjoyed), and Jeff enjoyed his turkey pot pie.  We were happy diners!  Wendy and Jeff spotted people from the cruise and talked to them for a bit.  I later found out that Liz and Joe were having dinner next door at the sushi place at about the same time.  I've declared that Liz will be joining me for a future event so that we can eat the sushi, because she said that it was delicious. 

For some reason, there was some kind of backup to get into the parking area for the theatre.  Again, I was sad that we didn't still have our token.  But we finally got in and parked.  The PellaPosse seats were in the first two rows on the right side of the house.  I was happy that they hadn't opened up pit seating so that we were still in front.  I was hoping that they would open up pit seating and offer to change my seats due to my season subscription, but they never called me, and I would have been upset if I had seen seats in front of us (the theatre had called me regarding openings in the pit for another show for which I had a ticket).

I introduced new recruit Dene to the rest of the Posse, and met Karla's fellow teacher, Elaine.  Liz was miraculously there and not in bed:  she had run the Nike Women's Half-marathon in San Francisco that morning, and had the Tiffany necklace to prove it.  :)

The lights dimmed, and Scott sang "Beat's gonna be so sweet", and sounded a little bit tired.  They had been in Atlanta the night before and had been flying all day, so I had wondered how they'd be feeling.  The video played, but we didn't see Tim around, so we wondered if he was still working with the guys.  

Tonight
Scott cut his hair.  Geo has lost so much weight through his P90X routine that he needs new clothes.  Scott announced that he is Brian Wilson (aww, a Beach Boy!).

4U4Now4Life
Steve and Geo smiled at me.  I love hearing Joe laugh.

Scott:  How many folks go to school here?  Wow, 3 whole people.  (The spotlight was bright on him)  This is a blinding spot, a very awkward light.  I feel like a lemur.  

Scott told us that they had sung with the Atlanta Symphony the night before and flew all day, but they were sure they had arrived when they saw "ocean...and rich people."  He introduced JT and said about the rumbling, "Be careful with the cliffs and the earthquakes."

Nuthin But (Zip)

Got to Get You Into My Life
Steve smiled at Karla and June.  I melted for them.

Just My Imagination/Imagine
Scott looked like he was still eating his cupcake before starting the song.  We found out later that they hadn't eaten the cupcakes yet, so it must have been part of his Power Bar.  Applause happened after the Imagine section.  I like Geo's glissando.

Tell Me What You Want
They changed up something in the intro, either in the harmonies or because Scott is tired.  I don't know.  Something happened with the Power Point presentation, because all of a sudden, the screen showed a post-it note with the title of the song.

Scott said that the last time they were here was for a holiday show, and this was Steve's Pepperdine debut.  We're happy to have you here, Steve!  :)

Cupid
Ooh, Hearts on the video!  I like hearts.  Steve smiled at me!  He chose someone named Diane to help him get the audience to wave their arms and sway.

Hard Time
Scott:  "That's from 'Bang', too.  'Bang' also."

Scott: "The next song is sung with the Massachusetts-sad-eyed voice of Mr. Steve Dorian."

California Sad-Eyed Girl
I forgot to say this in my Oregon trip report, but Steve is really gelling with the rest of the band now.  Tonight was the best that I've ever heard him sing CSEG.  Joe told him later that he no longer sounds like he's trying to be Kevin's replacement.  He's now made the song his own.

John described Scott as "The man with a big voice in a little bitty body."
Scott's response: "Da plane! Da Plane!"
Scott talked about his influences and got applause when he mentioned Glenn Miller.  He said, "Oh, good, Glenn's in the audience tonight."

Paper Doll
Scott made goofy faces at Geo when he sang "waiting".  Awesome rhythm section, boys!

Rock the Boat
Scott danced and called this one "The Malibu".  Steve called Wendy "Baby".  I did not want to scratch her eyes out as she feared.  Steve also slapped Scott's butt with the rhthym before Geo's solo.  He was having fun!  Geo, Geo, Geo.  You're the man!  :)

Thunderball
Steve flexed his biceps, too.

Bang
The video showed stuff from the Bond films.  Scott's dancing was on fire!  Geo did his high-kick!  Shut yo mouth!  I love seeing them do this song, and am now even happier that the high-kick is back.  

Commercials
Scott: "We can come clean with you discernful Malibu folk."
Geo stroked his own arm as he sang "yummy milk chocolate".
Steve wiggled his butt as he sang "rash on my butt".
Scott: "That's as bad as they got right there, and they loved it!"
When Scott mentioned that they even recorded songs that never even made it on the air, someone in the audience shouted, "OH, YEAH!" which puzzled more than one of us.  Are you happy it never made it on the air, or do you just like the Dr. Pepper jingle?
BTW, nice soda sound, JT!

My Girl/Ain't Too Proud to Beg
John chose a woman named Carol.
Scott: "Are you one of the Real Housewives of Malibu?  You look like you could be one of those girls."
Carol: "I don't know if that's a compliment."
Carol said that she was from the West End, which prompted Scott to mention Falafel King and some other place that sounded like "Denny Reese".  Scott tried to get her to sing "Stand By Me".  One of Carol's companions was sitting on the stairs in the aisle next to me, and was about to leave when Steve was fake-leading her off of the stage.  I told him to stay right where he was.  He was glad that I did.  As they sang "Beg", Carol was all hugging everybody, she was so flirty!  It was a lot of fun.

After everybody calmed down and Carol left the stage, Geo said: "Every time I come out here to California, the women make want to sing like a woman."

I Will Always LoveYou
I like hearing the crowd react to those high notes.
Geo: While I can't breathe right now, I'll need about 20 seconds to release."

He dedicated the next song to the women in the audience, but first, "I'm waiting for the pitch.  I think the guys are taking a coffee break or something."  We thought that maybe they were eating cupcakes at that time, too, but we were wrong.

Babygirl
Tell me your number!  He so rocks that song.

Carmen
Scott: We sang it every day for every year--many years.  (Have I told you that Scott must be tired?)

Encore:

A-Punk

Scott said that he didn't know when they'd be out here again, and Karla shouted out that they'd be in Napa in January, which really isn't close by, but it's still California, which is pretty much another planet to the guys.  

Then Scott said that they should do Steve's song, which they've never done before.  (All of us that were on the cruise had heard it live on the boat, though we didn't correct him).

Malibu Grand Prix

Up On The Roof/Wonderful World
Scott tried to hide from the spotlight.  That thing was really bright.

After the show, Dene informed us that he was looking forward to the next time the guys would be in town, because he would see that show all over again.  PUSHED.  :)  Thanks for bringing your hubby, June!  I know that the other hubbies like to see another male fan among the Posse.

I said hi to Fred before going into the lobby for the meet and greet.  He said that they had 2 workshops scheduled in the morning, but they wouldn't be flying out until later that night, so they'd be able to rest a little bit before going home.

Elaine did her job and took random pictures of stuff happening at the Meet and Greet, especially of whatever Karla was doing, since it was her camera.

I asked the guys to sign my program, and was happy that Scott remembered how to spell my name.  It's the little things, people.  To ensure that he actually received the cupcakes, I asked him, "Did you get your treats?"  He thought for a few seconds and asked, "Were they cupcakes?"  You see, we can trust the box office here.  I gave him a birthday card from the Pella Posse that had something to do with us wearing our good panties in case we were going to throw them at him.  (I had crossed out Justin Timberlake's name and wrote his name on the card instead).  He said that we were funny and sweet.  He said that since they were on the plane all day, his throat was really dry.  Scott noticed that my hair was short and said that he liked it.  Thanks!   I told him about Liz doing the 1/2 marathon that morning, and he was quite impressed.  I also told him about the 5K that we did, and that Liz and I would be walking in November for the Be The One Run as Team Walk-A-Pella.  He liked that, so now that our team name is sanctioned by Scott, we're good to go!  Join us, won't you?  Scott was wearing very, very, very blue shoes that he bought at the Nike store in Japan.

Bluuuuue (not suede) Shoes


Geo saw that Liz was being shy as usual and told us to take a picture of him with her.  No, I will not post it here.  I value my life.  Not that Liz looks bad, because she doesn't at all.  Geo's eyes are closed.  He was wearing a ring and explained that Sandra got it for him when they got engaged so that he could ward off all of the women with it.  I told him that he needs new clothes because he's lost so much weight that they're baggy on him now.  He said that he's going to go back on the program, but now it's in order to bulk up.

I didn't get to talk to John very much, but while I was patiently waiting to take my picture with the guys, he told them to pay attention so that it could actually happen.  Thanks, John! He told Jeff that he was planning on bringing Christina to Napa, so I look forward to seeing her there.  

JT told us how we could get around when we go to the shows with the Boston Pops in December, because Jeff had asked him about it.  He said that we'd be going at a good time, and we picked a good airport because it's not too crowded.  Wendy thinks that he still doesn't know her name, because he doesn't say it when he sees her, but he says mine and Karla's.  I bet he does know, Wendy.  How can he write about us in his personal diary if he doesn't know all of our names?  Hmmm...maybe he calls Geo and asks him.  ;)

I greeted Steve with a big hug and a "Hi, Flirty!"  I told him that tonight was the best that I'd ever heard him sing CSEG.  He said that he thinks that he was inspired (I'm sure that he was talking about being in California, but in my imagination, he's inspired because of the PellaPosse.  Or just the PellaPusher.  Or I should just stop daydreaming).  I also said that I was happy that they were able to do his song IN Malibu, and he was happy about it, too.  (When we were in Oregon, I had asked him if they would do his song when they got to Malibu, and he said that he hoped so, so he got his wish).  He said that he wished that he had booked another night to stay so that he could go to Disneyland, since he's never been to The Original.  Since I was off the next day, it would have been fun to show him around "my" Happiest Place on Earth.  He said that he could get me in, and I said that I didn't need it because I'm a Passholder, but thanks!  I would still totally show him around, though.  He then said that he would try to bring his girlfriend Laurie next time so that she could go, too, and he might bring her to Napa.  I told him that I wanted to meet her, and he realized that I never met her at the Tampa show.  He's so cute and happy, and I told him that I was glad he was so happy.  He said that he was glad that I'm happy, too.  OK, he has no idea that I'm at my happiest when I'm seeing Rockapella, so let's not tell him how pathetic I am normally, OK?  ;)  BTW, he met Laurie on a blind date.  Can you imagine going on a blind date and Flirty Flirty Eyes is the guy with whom you've been set up?  I'd probably think I was on candid camera or some kind of cruel joke was being played on me, because I am not that lucky.

So here's the picture that I took with the guys, thanks to John actually paying attention.

Coming to a Christmas Card near you!

A great time was had by all, and I'm always happy when I have a definite date in the future when I can see the guys again.


No comments:

Post a Comment