Monday, November 7, 2011

The Sing-Off 3.6

Yay!  I have no idea who goes home tonight as I watch!


Group Performance: "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire
That was a lt of guys on that one circle.  They all did that song well together  I'm starting to think that I need an Arcade Fire CD, because I think that's the second song I've heard by them that I like.


I didn't know that Shawn Stockman is an "R&B Bad Boy."  OK, Nick.


First Challenge: Classic Rock


Pentatonix: "Born To Be Wild" by Steppenwolf
I feel like Scott needs to have more growl in his voice for this song.  His voice sounds a little too pretty, but I understand the need for keeping on pitch and sounding clear when you're singing a cappella in a quintet, so that you don't lead the rest of the group to the path of unrighteous flatness or sharpness.  The breakdown was really cool, though, as usual.


Dartmouth Aires: "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister
Uh-oh, Jack left for graduate school.  Good luck, Jack!  There's a rock growl!  Of course, with so many of them, they have a little bit of wiggle room to play with the pitch a little, which they didn't need here anyway.  That was fun.  Their shredded leather coats were wacky.  See?  Shawn mentioned the rock growl!  


Afro-Blue: "American Girl" by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
If Afro-Blue loses because their harmonies are too complex for the mainstream, then I say, "way to go on staying true to yourselves".  Alas, they've simplified themselves a little bit for this song.  I understand the need to win, but, well, whatever.  I'll get off of my soapbox.  I liked the addition of the National Anthem. Sara, you didn't see them in the song because they're trying to conform to your previous coaching about being too complex.  You judges are making me crazy and confused.  Don't let me step on that soapbox again.


Delilah: "Dream On" by Aerosmith
I think Amy's voice needed to be less breathy at the beginning, because it sounded weak, maybe because it was too low for her.  Later on, she sounds great, being all Steven Tyler screamy.  Cool!  Maybe she was faking the weak thing after all.  :)  I agree with Ben about the fan effect.


Urban Method: "Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake
Well, that rocked with the awesome rap!  Since I don't really know much more of the melody than what they did, it worked for me.  Do you see how they didn't compromise their identity for the challenge?  I like that.  


Vocal Point: "You Really Got Me" by The Kinks
I like that opening!  Rocked that high note at the end, too!  That was fun.


My pick for this challenge:  Urban Method


Second Challenge:  New Country


Dartmouth Aires: "Save A Horse, Ride a Cowboy" by Big & Rich
Cute props.  I feel like the background vocals were too loud and overshadowed the leads' voices.  How cute, with the hats down for Sara!  


Afro-Blue: "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum
OK, I'm tired of this song, so I hope they get me out of that funk.  They sang that better than LA.  Of course, it helps that the lead voice is that of my favorite gal in the group: Christy.  


Urban Method: "Before He Cheats' by Carrie Underwood
Go, girl!  I like Katie's rockin' voice.  


Delilah: "If I Die Young" by The Band Perry
I don't know this song (from the title), and I've never heard of the original artist.  Oh, wait.  I do know this song.  Nice blend at the beginning, but I didn't really like the ending chords.  


Vocal Point: "Life Is A Highway" by Rascal Flatts
Is the first lead rushing the rhythm, or am I not hearing it right?  They just have so much fun up there! OK, so it wasn't just me: Sara heard the rushing, too.  


Pentatonix: "Stuck Like Glue" by Sugarland
What a cute song that I've never heard before.  I'm wondering if she was having pitch problems at the beginning, or if she meant to do that whole vocal slide thing.  


My pick for this round: Afro-Blue


Results
Staying for next week:  Pentatonix, Urban Method, Darmouth Aires, Vocal Point and Afro-Blue


Well, that one scared me.


Delilah's Swan Song: "Survivor" by Destiny's Child
Nice way to let most of the gals have a piece of the lead.  I wish they enunciated better, though.


Next Week:  R&B.  You know, they should do jazz one week, just to see if anyone but Afro-Blue can sing that genre.  

No comments:

Post a Comment