Monday, November 14, 2011

The Sing-Off 3.7

We're down to the top 5, and it's R&B night.


Group Performance:Medley of  "I Feel Good" by James Brown, "ABC" by The Jackson 5, "Crazy In Love" by Beyonce


First Challenge: Contemporary R&B


Dartmouth Aires: "Ignition (Remix)" by R Kelly
Uh-oh, they're getting really intense in rehearsal.  I don't know this song.  I like the "bounce bounce", though.  I heard a couple of dissonant chords in there that my ear didn't like, but they're fun, as usual.  Shawn's all tripping out on the sexy stuff.  I'd like to hear them do all of "Trapped in the Closet", too, Ben.  :)


Um, Nick:  aren't all of the groups here an "all-vocal crew"?  WTF?!


Urban Method: "Knock You Down" by Keri Hilson feat. Kanye West
Yeah, I don't know this song, either.  Again we're seeing that Katie has the strongest voice out of all of the women.  Maybe they should force the other gals to sing a power song so that they can get the confidence they need, too.  


Vocal Point: "Every Little Step" by Bobby Brown
I thought they were doing contemporary stuff?  I guess that doesn't mean "songs Sherry doesn't know".  ;)  They wear their names on their sleeves.  Some of these chords are just not working for me, guys, probably because people are not in tune.  I like that all of the vocal percussionists get to show off with this genre.  Tanner got to shine in this one!  I love how Shawn is jealous of the bass men.  Is Sara the only one with ears?  How did the other judges get so snowed by all of the dancing?  I mean, the dancing was fun, but the intonation was not as good as it should have been at this point in the competition.  Maybe it's a sound balance thing that's off on the TV and not in the studio.  Or maybe it's because I'm listening more than I'm watching so my senses aren't all distracted.  


Afro-Blue: "We Belong Together" by Mariah Carey
Uh-oh.  There are a lot of lyrics to remember.  The tempo is slower than I prefer, but they sound really good.  Ack, except for that one chord.  She has sparkly eyeshadow.  Now Ben feels like they're really getting somewhere.  Oh, Ben.  They were somewhere a long time ago.  Sometimes I feel like the judges' comments on the arranging are being said by the producers of the show who only want something they can control later on with the record company.  


Pentatonix: "OMG" by Usher feat. Will.I.Am
Aw, Kevin is having a hard time with the explicit lyrics.  So they couldn't pick a different song?  I feel like the key is too low for the lead, but they pulled it off well.


My pick for this challenge goes to Pentatonix.


Second Challenge:  Classic R&B


Dartmouth Aires: "Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight & the Pips
A couple of chords were off, but I love hearing Michael sing.  Sometimes there are just too many of them singing and it takes away from how simple the song should sound.  


Urban Method: "It's Your Thing" by The Isley Brothers
There's more strength from the women! Thank you!  


Vocal Point: "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" by The Temptations
OK, y'all know that I KNOW this song.  :)  Wait. They don't have a girl on stage to drag around.  They did not disappoint me, making sure that they use Temps moves in their choreography. Where did Ben get the soul for that last run?  And why didn't he use it for the whole song?  Show them how it's done, Shawn!  


Afro-Blue: "Best of My Love" by The Emotions
I absolutely love this song, so I'm glad that it's this group singing it.  Interesting transitions to their jazzy style and back to the original.  That made me smile a lot.  So, what is it, Judges?  Do you want them to do their style or don't you?  Augh!


Pentatonix: "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye
Wait.  So Kevin is OK with these lyrics?  That was awesome, and Shawn sure loved it!  


My pick for this challenge:  Pentatonix


Results
Moving on to next week: Pentatonix, Urban Method, Dartmouth Aires, and Afro-Blue


Vocal Point's Swan Song:  "Let Me Go Home" by Michael Buble
Oh, Will Arnett Lookalike, I'll miss you.


Next week:  America gets to vote

No comments:

Post a Comment