Friday, November 25, 2011

MU-PPETS! MU-PPETS!

I've been excited about "The Muppets" ever since I heard that it was in production, so this year's choice for our Friday-after-Thanksgiving movie was a no-brainer.  Brady, V, Bro, Linda and I went to the theater near my parents' house to see the show.  There was so much traffic that we ended up late for our first time choice, but since it was starting pretty much every hour, we just waited for the next one and passed the time by walking around the adjacent strip mall.   We were able to get some good seats when we finally got into the theater, and settled in for some Muppet action.  Whoo Hoo!

  • I like Walter.  He's sincere and such a big fan, like the rest of us, and believes in them, like the rest of us.  He also faints like many of us would probably do if we met Kermit.  I agree with another post on a website that he looks like Ted Mosby from "How I Met Your Mother", which cracks me up because his co-star is Jason Segel, just as Ted's portrayer, Josh Radnor co-stars with J.S. on his show.
  • V thinks that Amy Adams is perfect casting for this movie, and I agree.  I just didn't like her songs.   I did like her singing in "Enchanted", so her voice is not an issue for me.  I think it's just that those particular pieces did not resonate in me.
  • The new songs that I really enjoyed the most, though, were Kermit's "Pictures In My Head" (made me cry), and Gary and Walter's duet "Man or Muppet". 
  • I loved, loved, loved the cover songs of "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Forget You" and "We Built This City".   "The Whistling Caruso" was very well done.
  • Not really a cover since they changed the words: "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by the barbershop quartet was made with awesomesauce.  
  • The classic Muppets songs made me very happy:  "The Muppet Show" theme song made me smile, "Rainbow Connection" had me in sentimental tears, and "Mah Na Mah Na" got me bouncing like it was supposed to do.  
  • The chemistry between Kermit and Miss Piggy is still palpable, and their story was a very current one, featuring Miss Piggy's need for independence vs. her need to be with Kermit.
  • The cameos were perfect!  I loved who played Miss Piggy's secretary at Vogue Paris, I loved who played Walter's human mirror, and I loved the people working the marathon.  And, WHOA!  Dude sitting on the park bench in the opening number!  
  • A-NI-MAL! A-NI-MAL!  I heart him very much, and I loved that he had his own little storyline.  I want those Angel and Devil Animals.
  • I had forgotten how much The Muppet Show loved to tear down that 4th wall, but remembered when I saw them do it again here.  "...this will be a really short movie."  I giggled for a while after that (then started to cry when they started reciting the lines from their theme song).
We all loved the movie.  I need to get the soundtrack.  I need to get the DVD when it gets released.  I need to get those Animal Angel and Devil dolls if they make them.



No comments:

Post a Comment