Monday, November 28, 2011

The Sing-Off Season 3 Finale

So now I'm avoiding Twitter and Facebook in case there are any spoilers.  Because tonight is the Live (on the East Coast) finale!


As you recall, I was torn last week, and decided not to vote.  I held to that only because I totally forgot about it. 


Group Performance: "The Way You Make Me Feel" by Michael Jackson
I like that sexy, slow opening.  I also like how the Aires finally get to sing directly with girls. :)  That was a pretty cool arrangement.


Pentatonix spent their charity time with The Trevor Project, which provides help to bullied kids. 


Pentatonix: "Without You" by David Gueta feat. Usher
I didn't really like that opening.  This is now the time where I wish that they could have done last week's show live, so that we could hear them without any fancy editing to influence our votes.  No, I don't mean that they do their songs over, but sound levels and such make a strong impact on performances.  Here, it's a negative effect for me.  Don't get me wrong: I like Pentatonix.  I just wonder how much of the other shows were more "produced" than tonight.


A little ditty from Vocal Point: "The Way You Look Tonight"
Oh, Will Arnett lookalike, how I've missed you.


Urban Method donated food to the Sickle Cell Foundation.


Urban Method: "Stereo Hearts" by Gym Class Heroes feat. Adam Levine
I'm again wondering about production, but not as much as with Pentatonix.   


The Dartmouth Aires helped out Saving Strokes.


Dartmouth Aires: "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by Meatloaf
Michael's just awesome, and he's a good guy, too!  Awwww.  Wait.  Who's that girl?  She looks familiar.  Oh, that's Amy from Delilah.  How nice of her to join them!  


Now it's time for the groups to sing with the regulars.


Pentatonix with Nick Lachey: "Give Me Just One Night (Una Noche)" by 98 Degrees
I like how NIck said that they were the boy band that *didn't* dance.  I was going to type that they sound great, then I heard a bad pitch, and then a bad chord.  But they redeemed themselves.  


A little ditty from The Deltones: "Edge of Glory"


Urban Method with Sara Bareilles: "Gonna Get Over You" by Sara Bareilles
They're kind of overpowering her sound, and hello, she's the LEAD.  


 A little ditty from Afro-Blue: "Let Your Hair Down" 
I think that Shawn would have sung with Afro-Blue if they had made the finals.  That would have been awesome.  Alas, no.


Dartmouth Aires (with the studio audience), conducted by Ben Folds: "Not the Same"
See?  Shawn's not singing with any of the groups!    Instead, we're being told what to do by Ben, and I heard a bad note from Mr. Folds (ssshhh...don't tell him I said so).    Shawn isn't even singing in this song.  


A little ditty from the Yellowjackets: "And Then It Goes Back" (or something)


All-Girls: "You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman" by Aretha Franklin
Go, Girls!!!  That was cool.  Except for that last weird chord.  Loved seeing all of the diva-ness.


A little ditty from North Shore: "The Lazy Song"


All-Boys: "Born to Run" by Bruce Springsteen
Awww. why aren't they all wearing sexy Springsteen jeans?  I would have liked that.  I like hearing the leads together.  Great job!  That was my favorite of the night.


A little ditty from Delilah: "Grenade"  She sang that while siting down?!  Wow.


Folger's commercials without Rockapella during "The Sing-Off"?!  Sacrilege!


Smokey Robinson with Afro-Blue: "You've Really Got A Hold On Me"
See, even Smokey wants to sing with A-B.  That was a nice balance between Smokey and the group.   They could be his new Miracles.  :)


A little ditty from The Collective: "I Will Survive"


Results


3rd place: Urban Method
Can we please lay the "rapapella" word to rest for now?  Or forever, whatevs.  You know, because I'm not the one that coined the word.  ;)


Urban Method's Swan Song: "Coming Home" by Diddy Dirty Money & Skylar Grey
Aw, she's crying.  It's really difficult to sing like that.


Now we get to look back on the journeys for the top 2.


The Dartmouth Aires' Michael needs a recording contract.  If not with the Aires, then some other way, because the man has major talent.  


Pentatonix is just too cool and innovative for words.  So what were they called when they were just a trio?  Did they ever say that?  Kristi looks like she's going to cry no matter what happens.


1st place: Pentatonix
Congratulations!!!


New Champions Pentatonix song: "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor


So the Aires don't get a swan song?  Bummer.


Next week:  Sing-Off Christmas, Live


I don't think that I'll be blogging about that one, so until next season...Sing.  Sing a song.

No comments:

Post a Comment