Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Prison on the Ocean

Rockapella Cruise
Day 8 -- Fun Day At Sea
Saturday, January 29, 2011

Yet another day of me feeling lazy in the morning, so Liz went to the Fitness Center and then had some alone time with her reading material.  This is why I love rooming with Liz:  we don't feel the need to be together at all times, preferring to be on our own sometimes and not being offended if we need "me" time.  Love you, Roomie, pod or not!

Jenn, Stacey & Karla
I got dressed in the new black dress I bought at Chacchoben, and met up with the rest of the Posse for breakfast at the Platinum Dining Room, and had pancakes.  We walked around the ship for awhile, looking for more pictures until Jenn's Black Jack tournament time.  When I met up with Jenn a little later, she was on the board for the final round!  We worried that her tournament time would run into the cocktail party time, but she ended up being ousted by other players.  Awww.  



Jenn and I returned to the Platinum Dining Room for lunch, and we were seated with people from Nova Scotia (not the same people that we met before), as well as other people who talked politics, which reminded me of work, so it was not an enjoyable experience, and the burger I had was dry, so whatevs.  It is this one meal that makes me think that I'm going to ask to sit with my friends whenever I go on another cruise.  I'd rather that they drove me crazy after 7 days than have to sit with strangers that talk about crap I'd like to forget while on vacation.  Rant Off.

Yumminess
Dan delivered flyers to our rooms, stating that there were time changes in the day's activities, and he said that he liked my poster.  I told him that I was going to ask the guys to sign it that night.  We realized that it was time for the chocolate buffet!  Ooh, there was chocolate for days!  Of course, they also had a chocolate fountain so that you could choose what to dip into the chocolate, and I, of course, had chocolate-covered bananas.  This made me much happier than I was at lunch.


Ross & MJ
 I went ahead of the rest of the Posse to the cocktail party at White Heat, so that I could save some seats.  It turned out to be a shared cocktail party with people that were not in the Rockapella Group, so that was weird, and it ended up being difficult to find seats.  I know that you're supposed to mingle at cocktail parties, but I like sitting and talking to people.  The standing gets old...and dangerous when you're drinking alcohol on a moving ship.  I also needed a table so that the guys could sign my poster.  The drink that I chose (there were 3 or 4), a blue margarita, was yuck.  I said that it was too strong.  Christina said that it was probably too sour.  I said that it was "too I-don't-like-it."  Sher, the Queen of Grammar!  Christina laughed.  I asked the guys to sign my shirt and my poster.

John, Jenn & Christina

Like Father...
Now that half of us were drunk (and none of them were Sherry!), we brought our liquid courage over to Bar Blue for Karaoke Time.  I wasn't feeling well enough (or drunk enough) to sing as the West Coast Rep.  (Sorry, Posse).  You see, I had left my antibiotics at home and wasn't smart enough to go to the ship's doctor to get something to fight off whatever was giving me coughing fits.  So this was also probably the reason that I was so tired by the last couple of days on the cruise, and I needed to rest.  Steve's dad sang some Sinatra and Dean Martin.  Steve sang some country, and so did some of the gals from the East Coast.  Kyoko sang ABBA's "Dancing Queen".  Tim did really well with his song.  Perhaps he was auditioning to work on the cruise line, because he was making friends with so many of the cast members there.  Robert (Steve's cousin whom I don't believe because Costa Maya did NOT have the best shopping) sang, too.  The winner of the night was Mike, whom had brought his own Karaoke CD, so that it would be in his proper key.  He's a pro, folks!  
...Like Son

Adonis' was the last signature I needed for my shirt, and he said, "This is my drunken attempt at writing 'For Sherry'."  I asked him to sign my poster, telling him that it had been hanging on our stateroom door.  He asked, "Where is your room?"  Dude, you should have asked me that FOUR DAYS AGO!   I mean, how do you make money as a gigolo when you can't find your client's room? ;)  No, I did not say any of that.  I just told him which deck.  I told you that I wasn't feeling well.

Steve said that he would bring his cape to dinner for pictures with Wendy.  He told us the joke that he used in his Rockapella audition about the woman who stole a can of peaches.  He had APPARENTLY brought his cape to the beach at Costa Maya, but we're not sure why.  We just love that he liked it enough to do so, though.  Just say "cape" to me or Wendy now, and you'll see a grin on both our faces.  If we're together, we'll giggle.

Adonis in Jail
After getting kicked out of Blue Bar so that another group could have their activity, Liz and I talked for awhile to Adonis and the couple celebrating their wedding anniversary.  Adonis said that if they do another cruise, he'd like to see it through his kids' eyes.  He must have really missed his family, poor guy.  Earlier during Karaoke as he thanked all of us for coming, he had said that we have a beautiful view that some people take for granted.  "From this vantage point (there were vertical lines on the windows), it's like jail with a beautiful view."  I hope that he didn't actually feel trapped, but I wouldn't blame him if he did.  Anyway, I told Adonis that I wore a seasickness patch because I didn't want to throw up on The Pella.  He thanked me for that.  I started to have a coughing fit and needed to go back to the room to rest before dinner, so I left.  Then I remembered that I wanted Ross and MJ to sign my poster, so I called them up then went to their cabin to chat for a bit.

Fred, in his Pella Posse shirt!
We had our final dinner at the Platinum Dining Room, where Karla gave Jenn a Ship on a Stick for every award we could think of for her.  My favorite was the "Best Drowning Story" award.  Liz pretty much had to read the entire menu to me because I didn't have my reading glasses, and I had gone almost blind (I found out later that it was from the patch I was wearing).  The souffle that I had wasn't light enough for me.  It was too cakey.  My ideal souffle is mostly air in the middle.  I gave Sandra the copy of an awesome pic of George that I bought.  She asked me to keep in touch, giving me her e-mail address, which I haven't used.  I really should send her pictures.



Steve, Wendy and Cape
I gave Steve a copy of our picture together at Cruise Elegant dinner, and he asked me to sign it. So I did with "For Flirty, Flirty Eyes. -- Love, Sherry".  Steve and I (doesn't that sound cute?  "Steve and I"? -- ha!) explained my signature to his mom, Ginger (Achik!), but she was already familiar with the song.  He took pictures with Wendy and the awesome cape.






JT and Sher
JT had rushed off to Bingo again, but at least we got him to sign Jenn's shirt and take a couple of pictures before he left.
















We said our thanks and byes to everyone before going back to the room to finish packing.  We got our bags ready just in time for Luggage Express Pickup.  Phew!  

Exhausted, and a bit sad that it would soon be over, I went to bed.

Next up:  Back to Miami

No comments:

Post a Comment