Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Bloed Van Druiven

After celebrating my friend Lori's birthday at an Argentinean restaurant called Malbec (yes, they do serve that wine there), Lo and I went to the nearby Laemmle Theater to see "Bride Flight".  

  • The movie was in Dutch with English subtitles, so it was kind of good that Mo didn't join us, because she didn't bring her glasses with her to dinner.
  • By the end of the movie, I totally had a crush on Frank.  OK, maybe at the beginning of the movie, through to the end.
  • How did Karina Smulders get to be the "lucky" one that got to show off her entire body, and nobody else had to do so?  The dress she stripped off was really cute, though, and easy to take off, apparently.  I loved that she was so embarrassed that she kept right on babbling, even about her husband, whom, um, wasn't there.
  • I love that you could totally tell which one was Esther in the first shot of the reunion scenes, since she still had the really red nails and was still smoking a cigarette.  I don't think there was any scene that didn't show her smoking.
  • Oh, Marjorie.  So protective that it was overbearing for me, and I'm not even her kid.  Yet it was all understandable, and I genuinely felt compassion for her, as well as I did for all of the characters.
  • I didn't know that New Zealand had so many Dutch immigrants.  So do they have "New Zealand Dutch", like we have "Pennsylvania Dutch"?  
  • Dude that Ada married was practically Amish in the way that the elders had so much say in their marriage.  I did not like Derk from the moment he made her sit in the back of the truck for their 5-hour trek.  I mean, don't bring the minister if you know that you don't have room inside the cab, for goodness' sake!  What a jerk.  I guess it's a cultural thing, though, where women don't really matter.  But Frank was so good to her, and polite and everything.  I guess Frank's not practically Amish.
  • "Have you grown?"  That made me giggle when she then took off her heels for her short fiance.
  • Esther was particularly hilarious when describing everything about being a Jewish wife that she did not want to be.
  • I wish we could have seen Rutger Hauer actually speak in his native Dutch.
  • Oh, I get it now!  The metaphor of the wine and time and relationships!  Nice.
Great movie, great performances, and great story.  I highly recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment