Monday, June 27, 2011

Stone Temple Sailors

Rockapella Cruise
Day 7 -- Costa Maya
Friday, January 28, 2011

We arrived in Costa Maya, Mexico, and met Sergio, our tour guide.  We were given a brown bag lunch and boarded bus #710, where we met up with Stacey and Karla.  Sergio told us, "My job is to give you the whole 'blah blah blah'."  How perfect, since we're on a cruise with Rockapella!  

Sergio stayed true to his word and was very informative during our hour-long bus ride to the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins.  He is from Yucatan Maya, where Spanish is learned by everyone in school.   He encouraged us to speak a little Spanish, too, so we said to the driver, "Buenos Dias, Nestor!"

Costa Maya is in Quintana Row, the last state of Mexico.  It is the place where the Mayans settled down.  The 3 biggest Mayan Ruins are 1) Tical in Central America (Guatemala), 2) Calakmul in Southern Mexico, and 3) Chichen Itza in Mexico.  

Sergio said that the word "chiclet" is a Mayan word:  "chic" = mouth, and "let" = chewing.  That made me want gum.  The sacred tree for the Mayans is La Grand Ceiba.  

We arrived at the site, and had a little bit of time before our tour started, so that we could use the facilities.  I bought a straw hat.  I didn't take any video of the place because they charged a fee of $5.00 for that, although you could take as many pictures as you like for free.  

Templo 24

Rocky Balboa Steps
The first stop was Templo 24, still having solid construction.  As we took pictures, I saw that somebody had a duck!  So I didn't feel bad that I was taking pictures with a banana.  We were led to Gran Basamento, I decided to go up the "Rocky Balboa Way", which had a lot of steps.  I made it!  I pretty much had to make it, because I didn't want to go back down the stairs and go around the other way.





View from Top of Steps
Karla, Bananaman, Sher and Monkey

Sher & Stacey
 There were 2 temples at the Gran Basamento, which were 100 meters across each side, and 35 meters high.  This is where the Mayans would perform their self-sacrifices of bloodletting and piercings.


Thachered Roof
We stood by something that was under a thatched roof.  I don't remember what was there, and the picture doesn't do it justice, but I learned that if a roof is properly done, it can last up to 20-25 years.  From then on, because we were on a Rockapella cruise, I called all of those "Thachered Roofs", because I'm silly.




Residential Area




Sergio pointed out what the natives call a "Tourist Tree", which turns red and starts to peel when it is exposed to the sun, just like the skin of white people.  The sap is actually healing to the skin.   He also picked a leaf for each of us, and asked us to smell it, asking what we thought it was.  He got a few different answers, like nutmeg and cinnamon.  It was actually an Allspice plant.  We walked to what was a residential area, where we saw places for sleeping, as well as a community activities plaza.  The white wall was the interior of the rooms.



BATS!!!
 I was immediately distracted as soon as Sergio told us that there were fruit bats in the trees.  I think bats are awesome.  I don't want them flying around me or anything, but I think they're pretty cool.  (I think it has something to do with my love for Batman since I was a child).  




In one of the trees, you could see hash marks, which is where sap was gathered.  Sergio showed us the tool they would use, made of obsidian.  I touched it, and it was really smooth and shiny.  Sergio told us a little bit about the Mayan calendar.  APPARENTLY, your career is destined by whatever year you're born.  I told Liz that Sergio was born in the Year of the Tour Guide.


Sergio and his calendar


After our tour of the ruins was over, we shopped a little before returning to the bus.  I bought a black dress with purple flowers embroidered on it.  I haggled a little bit, but only a little, because I'm shy like that.  For some reason, we got on the subject of Fun Ship Freddy.  Karla doesn't need one because, as she said, "I have my own Fun Ship Freddy."  ;)  Bus driver Nestor then handed out drinks to go with our snacks, including something that I thought we had agreed not to consume when we signed our waivers.  

We got back to the shopping village, and I wasn't very impressed with what they had to offer, so from then on, I didn't believe Robert because he claimed that this was the best place to shop.  I bought a little tambourine for the niece, and a ball-string-cup game thing for the nephew.  We saw Sandra and George, and I told her that I needed her back at the ruins so that she could have haggled much better for the dress I bought.  We went to Diamonds Int'l for our charm, but we already had the one that they offered.  I totally would have considered buying some tequila if the employees hadn't hovered over me from the moment I stepped into the store.  That happened in other shops as well, and it made me uncomfortable, so I didn't buy anymore stuff.  As we were leaving the shopping center to walk to our boat, there was a guy holding a beautiful yellow snake on its neck.  I pictured my friend Cindy running away if she had been there.  

As we walked on the pier, I saw a very pretty view of the beach.  I reached for my camera, and a kind man asked if we wanted a picture of both of us.  Liz uncharacteristically said "yes".  I thought, "Really?!" and got excited (and also scared that someone had replaced my roommate with a pod being).  Then my new straw hat flew off my head and into the ocean.  Bummer!  But I guess it was a blessing, because then I didn't have to worry about packing the thing.
Sher and Pod Liz

We met up with Karla for lunch at Red Sail so that we could have more of the awesome Grilled Ahi on Watermelon.  Jenn wrote on all of our white boards: "Costa Maya sucked for Jenn!"  Aw, poor Jenn.  It turns out that she replied "yes" on the form when they asked if she had allergies, and they wouldn't let her go scuba diving or on the ATVs.  We walked all over the ship to look for her, and in our search, found Sandra and Geo at the internet cafe instead of Jenn.  We found out that Jenn had gone to a spa appointment which had been booked before we left California.  Thank goodness she did that, because by that time, she was feeling much cheerier.  I took a nap before getting ready for Cruise Elegant night.

For this night, I wore the navy blue dress that I had worn to this past year's Emmy Awards ceremony, and Liz looked quite lovely as The Lady In Red.  We met up with the rest of the Posse for photos and I took some solos while we waited for the whole group to arrive.  Since we had already sat with each of the Rockapella guys, it wasn't a big deal to us that a couple of them had dinner at the Steakhouse instead of in the Platinum Dining Room.  I did feel bad for those that didn't get to eat dinner with all of them, though.  I ordered a Baked Alaska, hopeful that I'd get to see my dessert on fire.  But there was no flame or anything, so that was a disappointment.  When "Showtime" came (with the waiters dancing and being crazy), I looked over at Adonis and saw his eyes widen with surprise, and realized that this was his first time to see it.  I was amused by his reaction.

Wendy, Jeff and Jenn


Some of the gals wanted to change out of their formalwear, but I was still comfortable, so I didn't.  We looked for our pictures and ordered whatever, then went to the Ebony Cabaret room to see the stand-up comedian.  There weren't any actual seats left, so we stood in the back.  I wasn't that impressed with the guy, and I was tired, so I left and went to bed.  Aw, a dinosaur!


Gloria and Bananaman Taking a Ride
Next up:  Fun Day At Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment