Sunday, June 19, 2011

It's Mint!

Linda and I saw "Super 8" today.  My posts about shows and movies always contain spoilers so you are especially forewarned this time, since the trailers don't give much away.

  • I was watching the film wondering which actor kid would break through to fame first (aside from Elle Fanning whom is already well-known), and I think that they'll all get quite a bit of attention from their roles in this movie.  I really liked all of them.  All of their exchanges made me giggle.  
  • Now THAT'S a train crash.  Wow.
  • "Do you have any Sparklers?"  "Are you kidding?"
  • "Ohhh...drugs are SO bad!"
  • I love how Charles the director kid is always mentioning "production value" to justify getting the right background for his scenes.
  • Great music, probably because it's my formative-years era.  I love the insertion of the disco music, too.
  • The Walkman started a slippery slope.  Did you know that?
  • I thought at one point the the Air Force was trying to rebuild a Transformer.
  • I'm glad that the reason that the dads didn't like each other was not due to some affair that the mom had in the past.  Because that would have made siblings out of our cute young couple and it would have been icky.
  • I see the Spielberg/Hitchcock influence in this movie all over the place, especially in that we don't actually see the full monster/alien until the end.  It really kept the suspense going.  I was pretty tense during the attack scenes.
  • I've decided that this is a mix of "Stand By Me" and "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial"...if E.T. had not escaped the clutches of the scientists/military.  
  • Seriously, when the alien finally opens his eyes, he *is* E.T. And his ship looks like E.T.'s!  We actually felt compassion for the alien even after all of the scary attacks.  Yup, even after that scary laugh it let out when he was about to kill the guy in charge.
  • What a cool movie to see on Father's Day, due to the underlying story with the dads disliking each other and wanting to keep the kids apart.
  • Yay!  We get to see Charles' movie during the end credits.
I really enjoyed this movie.  I look forward to seeing it multiple times when it comes to satellite TV.  :)

1 comment:

  1. I don't think my opinion of this movie counts because as far as I'm concerned, it's pretty much just a Steven Spielberg movie. It's what I felt in watching the trailer, and the film itself just reinforced it.

    When the girl was riding her bike away from her dad, I totally expected her bike to start flying.

    I did laugh when the director kid asked about blowing up Joe's model train and filming it. The husband leaned over and asked me why I was laughing. I told him because that's exactly what Steven did as a kid.

    I also enjoyed seeing the movie during the credits.

    ReplyDelete