Monday, December 20, 2010

The Sing-Off Season 2 Finale

So, everyone, did you vote last week?  If not, then it's your own fault if your group doesn't win.  Or it's everybody else's fault for not knowing to vote for your group in the first place.  Whatevs.


Let's start the Finale!  (Tonight, my friend Linda is watching with me, so I may have some comments from her, marked "L").


Group Opening Number:  "Put A Little Love In Your Heart" by Jackie DeShannon
I like Jerry Lawson's cane.  


Committed with Boyz II Men:  "Motown Philly" by Boyz II Men
I like how they fit in the spelling of "Committed"!  I sang along with the Dm Dm Dm Da Das.  :)  I like that B2M now has a bass with the addition of Committed.  Nice job!


Whiffenpoofs played through the break with "I Just Haven't Met You Yet". 


The Backbeats with Sara Bareilles:  "King of Anything" by Sara Bareilles
Sara actually sang with Awaken ACappella at UCLA, which is cool that she's back to her roots with them.  I'm hearing dissonance.  Is anyone else?  Yes, Linda does.  L:  "It sounds like they're singing two different songs."  PellaPusher:  "It's Charles Ives."


Talk of the Town with Nicole Scherzinger:  "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
Linda got her wish and they're singing Motown.  Nicole is channeling her inner Diana Ross.  I just didn't like this arrangement, or the blend, or something.  L says it's because it wasn't the right key for the guys.  It was the right key for Nicole, though.


Eleventh Hour took us through the break with their "Baby Baby".


Street Corner Symphony with Ben Folds:  "Gone"
Ben doesn't have the greatest singing voice, but he gets by, I guess.  He blends in OK with SCS, but I think that he should have sung his part better since it's, you know, HIS SONG.  I liked Nick's Ben-ish review, though.  


Talk of the Town and The Backbeats with Sheryl Crow:  "Long Road Home" by Sheryl Crow
I feel like they're cheating when there are instruments.  I like the song, though.  Take it over, Jerry!  He's just such a star.  


Committed and Street Corner Symphony with Neil Diamond:  "Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers
I liked that they all sang their own favorite ND songs prior to this.  "TODAY!"  Sorry, I can't not do that when I hear that song.  I liked SCS singing "Sweet Caroline".  Back to this song.  "I know, I know..." = NICE!  I really like the chords in this arrangement.  They need to all record this together. I want this new album now.  


All Finalists with Nick Lachey: "That's What Christmas Means To Me"  originally performed by Stevie Wonder
Ooh, Courtney from The Backbeats sings, and I like her voice!  It's like when JT sings: surprising, and nice to hear.  That was fun.


The groups will now sing on their own some Songs of Hope.


The Backbeats:  "Firework" by Katy Perry
L:  "They need a new choreographer".  She's sick of the emo moves.  They sing the song better than KP, though.  Nice falsetto, Kenton!  Oh, Nicole, and your analogies:  Kenton is the bananas in the sundae.  That's "deeper", Nicole?  Okayyyyy....


Men of Note played us through the break with "For The Longest Time".


Committed:  "Hold My Hand" by Michael Jackson and Akon
I didn't really like the opening chords, but it gelled a bit later.  Whenever the guy with the braids sings, I smile involuntarily.  Aw, Nicole is crying and making them cry.  Shawn, showing the love again.  


Talk of the Town:  "Love Train" by the Ojays
Before they started, L had to set me straight on why this was a song of hope because I forgot how the song went.  Jerry must have, like, 50 canes.  I liked Ben's comment about forgetting its competition every time TotT sings, because they put the song ahead of everything else.


Pitch Slapped played us through the break with "I've Got the Music In Me".


Street Corner Symphony:  "Fix You" by Coldplay
I didn't like those opening chords.  Wait.  I thought they were singing by themselves.  L:  "Looks like they needed a little help from their friends."  L and I are, APPARENTLY, heartless.  


Results: 
First group of the finalists to leave:  Jerry Lawson and Talk of the Town


Talk of the Town's Swan Song:  "Hit The Road, Jack" by Percy Mayfield
Yeah!  


Second group to leave:  The Backbeats
The Backbeats' Swan Song:  "Goodbye to You" by Roxette


On The Rocks sings through the break with "The Final Countdown"


Final Results:
Winners:  COMMITTED!!!  YAY!!!


Street Corner Symphony's Swan Song: "Drift Away" by Mentor Williams


Championship Performance by Committed:  "We Are the Champions" by Queen


Linda and I were happy that one of our faves won.  Yay!


Congratulations, Committed, and to The Sing-Off, thank you for a great couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment