Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Sing-Off 2.2

My house is never going to get cleaned with this "The Sing-Off" business.  Let's hear that second show!  I'm excited to see what the groups have in store for us tonight.


BTW, while waiting for today's show to start, I watched some of Monday's show again, and liked "Pitch Slapped" better upon the second viewing.  I still agree with last week's judge's decision, though.  I also got irritated again by the non-Rockapella Folger's commercial.  


It's showtime!


Group Performance:  "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon
OK,  I think they all sound better than the original, because the soloists are on pitch, and not flat.  Ooh, I liked that solo by the girl from The Backbeats that sang with absolutely no background.  Can you say "naked"?  Wow.  


I like that "Hold that note" phrase, Nick!  I'm stealing that.  I don't know where I'll use it, but I will.


Tonight's challenge:  Monster Hits (I don't think that they mean stuff like "Monster Mash", but that would have been fun).


On The Rocks -- "Live Your Life" by T.I. and Rihanna
That was fun, and the rap was fine.  I don't know what they were so worried about with that.  I enjoy hearing people sing those vocals in harmony well.  Heh, Ben:  "Can you do that again, but with more energy?"  I would also like to know what "Spittin' on the low time" means.  Yeah, I just Googled it.  No, nothing.


The promo for special guest is last year's winner, Nota.  Color me Unexcited.  What color would that be?  Discuss.


Street Corner Symphony -- "Hey, Soul Sister" by Train
OK, I just heard this again on "Glee" and loved it, so I'm scared.  OK, that is really high for the lead, even for Pat Monahan sometimes, but I liked the breakdown beat.  I don't love Jeremy's voice as much as Shawn does.  Ben's usage of "percolation" makes me think of the non-Pella Folger's again because he pronounces it like "perk-u-lation".  I'm not obsessed or anything.  


Eleventh Hour -- "Just The Way You Are" by Bruno Mars
Is this like an "all-songs-done-on-Glee-already" episode?  Weird.  A couple of the soprano notes are a little off, as well as the lead vocalist's pitch.  Maybe the others are throwing her off?  They don't sound as full as they did earlier this week.  Must be the arrangement.  OK, so "Monster Hits" are just whatever is current?  Or stuff from the "Monster Hits" compilations?  I like when Shawn and Ben speak with musical terms, because I actually know what they're talking about (except for "percolation"), unlike when I watch other competitions.  I'm such a music geek.


Banana!!!!  I heart those minions.


Ahem....back to the show.


Jerry Lawson and Talk of the Town -- "Mercy" by Duffy
Make it funky, Douglas!  ;)  I like their classy outfits.  They remind me of The Temptations.  What a pretty boutineer, Jerry!  Oh, I like this arrangement!  Do it up old style!  Like the "Please release me" bit.  Nicole is cracking me up with the dancing.  Love it, guys!  Jerry, er Mr. Lawson IS cool!  I'm not excited a BIT about this group, am I? ;)


Results:
Moving forward to the next show:  Talk of the Town, Street Corner Symphony and On The Rocks.


Aw, the young 'uns are going home, but I agree with this decision. 
Eleventh Hour's Swan Song:  "Leaving" by Jesse McCartney
I like this song, and I like the way they sing it.  I've never heard it before.


I'm glad that Nota is doing well. Yes, I am.  Shut up!  
Guest star performance by Nota: "I've Got a Feelin'!" by The Black-Eyed Peas
OK, maybe I'm not that glad.  I still don't really like their sound.  I tried, people.


The Backbeats -- "Breakeven" by The Script
I like this song, even though it's depressing.  Why is the title not two words?  That's not a real word.  Oh, there I go with the grammar.  Hmmm...a little bit flat on the high note.  I like the "breathing" chords.  Go, Courtney, with that VP!  I join NIcole in applauding you.


Committed -- "Apologize" by One Republic
They sing this song WAY better than O.R.  I love how Shawn is just LOSING it over those chords!    NICE!  Is it just me, or were the green outfits a little Trekkish?  The color, not the styles.  Back to Shawn: "Come on, man, stop it."  Ooh, they give Nicole a musical climax, too.  She's not the only one that had that.  I just yelled at the TV when Nick said that we'd soon find out if that's enough to go to the next round.  "YEAH!"  Stupid writers.


Groove For Thought  -- "Cooler Than Me" by Mike Posner
I think that this is a good song for their jazz style, like most of the songs that the groups picked for themselves today.  The lead singer's voice is nice and smooth.  I like it.  I agree with Shawn about them doing the song justice.  Shawn about lead Peter's coolness: "Your hat is to the side, like, Bro."  Nicole, find something to say that's your own and not just wacko!  


The Whiffenpoofs -- "Haven't Met You Yet" by Michael Buble
Oh, OK: "Monster Hits from the last 5 years".  There have GOT to be some zombie songs, right?  Ooh, I'd want to sing "Zombie Jamboree".   On to reality.  I can totally tell that they've been classically trained, from their vibrato.  I love that about them.  I also love that they spread out the lead parts, instead of just relying on one singer's melody.  I enjoyed this arrangement.  Who does the arranging for everyone, anyway?  


Results:
Moving forward to the next show: Committed, Groove For Thought and The Backbeats


I'm not surprised, but I'm sorry to see The Whiffenpoofs go home, because I did like them more than the Backbeats tonight.
Swan Song:  "I'm On My Way" by Motley Crue
I really liked that.  I want to hear more of their stuff (Whiffenpoofs, not MC).


Next week will have Guilty Pleasure songs.  


My posts will be delayed as I cannot watch Monday's show live.  Have a great rest of the week, everyone, and Rockapella Fans: See you on Saturday!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to reply to your post on my blog. I'm too lazy to write a review of episode 2, so I'll post a link to your page (I pretty much agree with everything you wrote anyway, lol), do my own comments, and respond to your post. haha! Like I said, lazy. haha!

    ReplyDelete