Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Sing-Off 2.4

Catching up on The Sing-Off tonight.  I've gone crazy, right?


Group Performance:  "With A Little Help From My Friends" by The Beatles
How much do I love that Jerry Lawson opened the night?  LOVE!!!  Especially with this song.  And now I'm adding "Persuasions sing The Beatles" to my wish list on Amazon because I've meaning to do that anyway.  That was a great performance.


First Challenge: Superstar Medleys from Iconic Artists


On The Rocks:  Elton John
I don't really like that guy's falsetto on "Benny and the Jets".  I really like the other lead's voice, on "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me".  It's just so pretty.  


Committed: Usher
They were at the Americana?  I'm jealous of whomever got to see them.  I like that they're getting down with the Usher songs!  I also like that they're doing them so well.  This is what those songs might sound like if they weren't overproduced, right?  Or maybe better.  ;)  They just blow me away.  I agree with Ben about taking their music seriously, but not themselves.  


Street Corner Symphony: The Beatles
The low notes in "Eleanor Rigby" are too low for him.  Otherwise, they did a good job.  I wish they could have been more challenged, though.  Even though the Beatles were melody-driven, they are an a cappella band, so I look for more than what was there tonight.  I think that I'm spoiled by Scott Leonard's arrangements.  


The Backbeats: Lady Gaga
Interesting that this isn't being done by OtR, but this could be cool.  That was fun, although "Just Dance" wasn't strong enough for me.  I'm thinking, though, that the song itself isn't really strong anyway.  


Talk of the Town -- Otis Redding
I never liked "Dock of the Bay" until Rockapella sang it, mostly because the dude is just sitting there on the dock (it's some comedian's fault for pointing that out).  Anyway, I did like this version of it, too.  R-E-S-P-E-C-T is all I have for this group.  My goodness with that scream, Jerry!  I agree with Ben about the pitch in "Try A Little Tenderness", but they did recover well.  


Results:
Moving forward to the next challenge:  Committed, The Backbeats, Talk of the Town, and Street Corner Symphony


On The Rocks' Swan Song: (OK, I like the way they said goodbye to the judges -- cute).  "The Final Countdown" by Europe.  OK, what's with the triangles that the other groups were holding up?  I'm out of it.


Second Challenge: Judges' Request


Committed:  "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green
Nice.  I like that they're showing off each voice throughout the song.  Then you add those lush harmonies, and aaaahhhh.


Um, SCS -- you missed a couple of words in "Auld Lang Syne".


Street Corner Symphony:  "Down On The Corner" by Creedence Clearwater Revival
So the judges have also been waiting for something Southern.  I like this.  A lot.  Heh.  Arenapella.  That's kinda, I don't know, kidney-sounding.


The Backbeats:  "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac
I hate this song, mainly because it was overplayed when it came out and I never got over that feeling of being sick of it.  I thought they sang it well, although it was too low for the lead.


Talk of the Town: "House of the Rising Sun" by The Animals
All of a sudden, I miss Kevin Wright and Elliott Kermann again, and want to hear that done by Rockapella again.  That was done very much in TotT's style, though, which I appreciate.  I'm just going through some withdrawals right now.  I agree with Shawn: very soulful, and I liked it.


Results:
Moving onward to the finals:  Committed, Street Corner Symphony, The Backbeats, and Talk of the Town


America, you get to decide now! You can vote until Sunday, December 19.  I'm going to go text some numbers now. :)


Good night, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Woman, I had a Kevin moment in Pasadena! LOL Especially, when they sang Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. Frig, I was tearin' up! LOL

    ReplyDelete