Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Sing-Off 2.3

I'm finally watching Monday night's episode.  Can I do two in one night?  Hmmm....

We now are at the point in the competition where the groups have 2 opportunities to perform for the judges.

Group Performance: "21 Guns" by  Green Day
That was kinda cool.  I think that I want to see that musical, "American Idiot".

First Challenge:  Rock Hits

The Backbeats -- "You Give Love A Bad Name" by Bon Jovi
I like the sounds they make like loading up a gun.  Well done!  That was quite rockin'.  I like the mixture of the rhinestones and leather.  I might want to rock that look someday.

Street Corner Symphony -- "Creep" by Radiohead
I love this song.  I love singing it while playing Rock Band with Caught Knapping.  I enjoyed this performance, too, showing off the lead's strong vocals.  You see?  When a song's in Jeremy's range, he can sing it quite well.  Ben seems to agree with me.

Talk of the Town -- "Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones
Ooh, ooooh....I like that opening.  I love when Jerry yells "Listen!"  OK!  Swivel those hips, Jer!  Oh, YEAH!  I just love this group.  Ben, we now know that you like to have your butt shaken by sitting on a stereo speaker.  Thanks for that. ;) 

BTW, Angela has an awesome memory.  She tweeted me tonight, asking if TotT was an opening group for Rockapella when we saw them in San Francisco.  I had to look it up on our PellaPusher site, and she's way right:  May 7, 2000, Talk of the Town opened for Rockapella at the Great American Music Hall.  I enjoyed them 10 years ago, even without JL.  Wow, 10 years. We've come so far since then.  Ah, but that's for another post!

On The Rocks -- "Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leppard
I like that chord on "your man". Love the stage crawl!  That was fun.  I would have liked to hear some deeper harmonies, though, since it seemed like so many were singing on each part.  Of course, Nicole liked the choreography, since it was kinda PCD-ish.  

Groove For Thought -- "Changes" by David Bowie
I don't like the lead singer's tights with that outfit.  Did she mess up the lyrics, or was that a mic thing?  A little bit of chord trouble at the end of that.  I don't know, it wasn't "rock" enough for me.  

Committed -- "Every Breath You Take" by The Police
I did not like that transition/key change.  I don't think they mean for it to sound like that, but that's why it's so difficult to sing harmony in so many parts.  That's also why I wish that OtR would challenge themselves more with their harmonies.  

Second Challenge:  Guilty Pleasures

The Backbeats -- "Love Shack" by The B-52s
I like to see them having fun.  I also like the ritardando on "get together" with the cool harmony.  I'm not sure that the lead guy pulled off the craziness enough for me, but he brought it.

Street Corner Symphony -- "Come On Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners
I like that opening.  I had fun with this one, too, although I think that they were thrown off just a tad when they did their choreography.  

Talk of the Town -- "Easy" by The Commodores
NICE Falsetto!!!  I'm just amazed by how simple they make this look.  It's not, people!  Mmmmm....

Just noting that Nick's fave guilty pleasure is Richard Marx's "Right Here Waiting"

Groove for Thought -- "You Make My Dreams" by Hall & Oates
I like that opening bass line.  I really like that lead guy's voice.  Bring it down, boys!  Love that outgoing scat and high note, too.  

On The Rocks -- "Kyrie" by Mister Mister
Nice opening, strong voice.  I also like all of the different rhythmic sounds going on.  I liked that performance, especially the harmonies.  Thanks, guys.  I agree with Ben:  it's funny that they waited until the Guilty Pleasure challenge to show their artistry.  Shawn has officially lost it.  

Committed -- "I Want It That Way" by Backstreet Boys
I really enjoyed that!  Am I the only one that thinks there needs to be a "Boy Band" challenge on this show?  Then they could have a 98 Degrees song to make Nick happy, another BSB song, and, of course, the NKOTB would just put me over the edge if done well.  Where did those boys learn to grind like that?  My goodness!  I like the build up of "You Are".  

Results:
Moving forward to the next show:  Talk of the Town, Street Corner Symphony, Committed, The Backbeats, and On The Rocks

Aw, no more jazzy arrangements and smooth-voiced guy.  Thanks for being music teachers, y'all!
Groove For Thought's Swan Song: "That's Life" by Frank Sinatra -- I'm going to miss the variety that they bring to the show.  

Aw, the other contestants are sad to see them go, too.

Tonight's episode up next.  Yes, tonight!  I am insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment