Thursday, August 7, 2008

Shabu Sher & J-Town Jenn

Jenn and I had some downtime to share, so we made our way to Little Tokyo so that she could witness my first Shabu-Shabu experience. I had never actually been in that area before, so I was excited to experience a couple of new things that day.

We sat outside Shabu-Shabu House about a little while before the posted dinner hour, so that we could place our name on a list to be seated. Apparently, this place is very popular, and seats fill up very quickly. After we placed our name on the list, we did a little shopping around. I found some Boxes of Joy, but didn't want to start up collecting those particular sets, so I refrained from buying any of those. There was a little store next to the restaurant that had different types of trinkets to buy. Jenn and I were discussing the fact that she now searches for hippos for me, and not two minutes passed by before I found a little pink plush hippo, just calling out for me to buy as a souvenir for my first J-Town experience. I mean, hello, it was only a $1.50! So I thought that I had gotten away with quite a cheap souvenir for the day.

That was, until, we decided to go into a dress shop, where I found a lovely giraffe-print purse. Since we didn't have time for Jenn to try on the dress she was eyeing, we told the merchant that we'd be back after dinner.

Our names were called first, and Jenn informed me that she had ordered a Large size for me. They really only serve one dish there, though you can ask for low-fat, regular, or high-fat content for the beef, which is very thinly sliced rib-eye. They also give you raw vegetables and noodles, and when you get to your table, the pot in front of each person is already full of boiling water. Jenn told me her method of cooking her Shabu2, and I pretty much followed her way, since she's an expert and also a fantastic cook.

Wow. This stuff was scrumptious. Jenn attributed it being so good not only to the quality of the beef, but also of the ponzu sauce that the owner created. He does not offer the recipe, but he does sell bottles of the sauce. Since I don't do much cooking that would use ponzu sauce, I didn't get any, but it was, indeed, probably the best ponzu sauce I'd ever tasted. Jenn had us finish off our meals with some of the restaurant's iced coffee, which they serve with cream and liquid sugar on the side. YUM. Jenn sure was right about me being able to finish off a large plate. I didn't eat all of my vegetables, but I sured did eat all of that yummy meat!

Unfortunately, we did have time to return to the dress store. I couldn't stand to look at the purse any longer with the thought that I'd be possibly passing up a great opportunity to buy it. Granted, it wasn't actually expensive as far as purses go, but I'd been eyeing a co-worker's purse with the same print for several months now, and just HAD to have one of my own. So now I do. Yay, me! Jenn did end up buying that dress (along with another that she had bought earlier while I was checking out the Boxes of Joy), so at least I wasn't the only one spending money that day.

We then returned to her house, and decided that we weren't going to be sleeping anytime soon, due to all the caffeine we had imbibed, so we decided to go see "Step Brothers," with Will Ferrell & John C. Reilly.

*spoiler*

OMG, those two are damn funny. I have got to watch "Talladega Nights" one of these days. I never thought that I would ever see WF's ... um ... hanger-downers, but there they were, resting on that drum set, like that was the best idea for revenge ever. I enjoyed Seth Rogen's cameo ("it tastes like...what is that? Ketchup? Ketchup and onions.") as well as the rest of the supporting cast. The movie is quite enjoyable if you're into Judd Apatow's humor. I've decided that Judd is the slacker genius of all comedic time.

*end spoiler*

Thanks, Jenn, for a great time as usual! I don't know what we'd be doing with these days, had our moms never become friends in college.

You see? College friends beget wonderful experiences, even a generation later!

Shabu-Shabu House
127 Japanese Village
Plaza Mall
Los Angeles, CA 90012
213-680-3890
(restaurant does not take reservations)
Lunch: 11:30 - 2:00
Dinner: 5:30 - 9:30
Closed on Mondays

If you go, take Jenn and me. We'd be happy to join you.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't done specifically shabu shabu much, but I generally like "cook your own food" hotpot stuff. It's particularly good in the winter because your food is so hot and fresh. Mmmm, ponzu sauce. I could see how that would be a great dip for shabu shabu. It also makes a really good salad dressing.

    Like I need another excuse to go back to J-town! :) Hmmm, gotta convince the husband to go. He likes shabu shabu-type meals too.

    As I recall, the place where you saw the Boxes of Joy is probably the one I need to go back to because I have to ask about a particular style of them. I believe Frying Fish restaurant is in that same complex, as well as a little gift shop where my friend got her tofu plush - maybe that's where you got your hippo from. I think it was next door to a little market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The place that I saw the tofu plush was across from Shabu-Shabu House. I found the hippo in the store right next to the restaurant.

    I think you're right about the store with the Boxes of Joy, though.

    ReplyDelete