Monday, August 18, 2008

"I don't read the script. The script reads me."

... "What does that even mean?!"

I joined a group of my friends this weekend to watch "Tropic Thunder," the new Ben Stiller comedy that opened this weekend.

My thoughts (with spoilers):
  • The trailers were hilarious, especially that of "Satan's Alley." I love that Tobey Maguire agreed to do this, and loved that he was hailed as "MTV Movie Awards Best Kiss winner."
  • Just eeww with all the blood and guts, but then, this is a fake war movie.
  • Steve Coogan's whole bit about Jesus distracted me into singing "Rock Me Sexy Jesus" in my head.
  • OMG, the guy BLEW UP and Tugg played with the dude's decapitated head. OMG.
  • Tom Cruise was magnificent. I don't think I've ever heard him use the "F" word that often in one sentence before.
  • It's no wonder that they got so much flack from those advocating for people with Downs Syndrome. I'm sorry, but ... it was funny, and it was in context, so it made sense to me.
  • RDJ's eyes were way too blue when the contacts came off, but I guess they're supposed to be that way.
  • Ben Stiller's unknowing attack on the panda made me wonder if Jack Black was hurting at that moment.
  • Speaking of JB, his facial expressions as he was talking about fighting his drug problem were just hilarious.
  • Loved the geek guy Kevin ... except for when they showed all of the stuff from his stomach.
  • Who knew that Alpa Chino had a thing for Boy Band types?
  • That little leader kid sure can kick some serious ass.
  • Great to see the toddler poking Tugg with his Stick Oscar. (OK, I know that sounds wrong, but that's what happened).
  • Loved that the first thing that the Pyro Effects guy had to say upon being discovered as a hostage was "He has hands!"
  • Was Nick Nolte arrested while he was filming this movie? Because he looked like that in his booking picture, right?
  • Tom Cruise's dance moves sure have changed since "Risky Business".

Thanks for a great time at the movie, y'all. I look forward to the next one. Really, really looking forward to it, actually!

2 comments:

  1. OK, I promise you that I wrote my review before reading yours - and we both mentioned "Risky Business"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise that I wrote mine and will be reading yours in a few minutes. :)

    ReplyDelete