Sunday, February 10, 2008

Ice and Dine Adventure #1 02/10/08

Yes, we have decided that this will be a series of adventures.

A few of my friends and I decided to get some Filipino breakfast at a local place, then met up with my bro, sis-in-law, and nephew to go ice skating at the Pasadena ice rink (home of the current Women's National Champion, Mirai Nagasu!).

Although we were all worried about falling when we stepped onto the ice, we felt our ice legs in a short time, and skated around the rink quite a few times. Little 2-year-old nephew was eager to get on the ice at first, but soon requested to be carried, which did not fly with the Ice Patrol, so his parents had to take turns skating. It's too bad, because he looked way cute in his little skate boots! V was determined to learn to skate backward, and Linda taught her. Dodie did some backwards skating, too...and the rest of us just decided to go forward.

We decided that we need to go to the Torrance rink one of these days, then we can go to the King's Hawaiian restaurant while we're there. So we've formed a new club called "Ice and Dine."

Since the rest of my family hadn't eaten yet, we walked across the street and had a late lunch at Island's, then shopped at the Antique Mall. I bought a really cute necklace for $5.00....and we saw 7 different hippos! I ended up buying a hippo card, too. Due to our second meal, Dodie stated that we did "Double Dine and Ice." I like it, D.

If you'd like to join our club, let me know, and we'll make you aware of the next Ice and Dine. Maybe one of these days, Brady will feel comfortable enough to skate around the rink for at least a whole lap....and maybe one of these days, I'll learn to skate backward.

Thanks for the great day, my friends...and thanks to Dodie and Mox for helping me with the furniture moving. I had fun, and I look forward to our next adventure.

BTW, if you'd like to help save the ice skating activity in Pasadena, and would like to support the efforts to build a new facility with TWO ice rinks, please visit their website at http://www.skatepasadena.com/parties.htm. After all, we have plenty of restaurants to try out in Pas!

1 comment:

  1. There's a rink in Culver City as well. At least there used to be. I never ice skated as a kid, and some years ago, a friend who loves it (doing and watching) talked me into trying it. I managed to progress fairly decently for a while, enough that I could make my way around the rink without holding on like an idiot. All the while watching the little kids easily gliding by and doing flips and somersaults and whatever. And then I had a total wipeout and hit the ice hard. I was so completely embarrassed that I didn't even pay attention to the guy that helped me up and helped me back to my seat, and I got rid of him pretty quickly. My friends told me he was pretty cute. I couldn't even begin to tell you. I was seriously bruised and beaten after that and have never done it again. Unfortunately, skating is out of the question now, so I can't join your club, but the husband might be interested in your next outing.

    The friend who talked me into skating is someone that D knows and works with, btw. Don't know if she still skates. I know she broke a leg last year (not from skating), so I expect even if she was still skating, her activities have been curtailed as of late.

    ReplyDelete