Sunday, July 28, 2019

Lying to Nai Nai

Today, my friend Linda and I saw "The Farewell".

I've been on the A-List at AMC for over a year now, so the sticker price of $16.50 (with membership) made me wince a little bit.  I was even more irritated when a man at the end of our row kept commenting during the movie.  I tried to shush him, and his companion told him to keep his voice down at the beginning, but she didn't do a very good job of making him stop.  It further irritates me that he's acting this way in an Arclight cinema, where a staff member actually gives the spiel of not talking and stuff, and it's a quiet movie, and half the time I felt like he, a Caucasian person was mansplaining to his companion, an Asian person, about a movie made by Asian people.  Dude, I did not pay $16.50 for your commentary.  Go home and stream it 6 months from now.  Maybe I'll buy the DVD with your comments on it.  As Linda stated, "..and then we'll have you autograph it."

OK, I'm done ranting.


  • "I love for you, too, Billi."  Yup, I almost lost it already 5 minutes into the movie.
  • Awkwafina did a fabulous job in her role with all of the emotions she was trying to keep in, and trying so hard not to let her grandmother know her own diagnosis.  
  • I loved this whole family.  Some of them were like my family, but I won't out them here.
  • I cried buckets during the wedding reception scene.  I was already crying and then she and her dad started with the karaoke, and it must have triggered a flashback in me, and I didn't stop crying for several minutes after that.  I need to sing karaoke with my family again just for fun.  I miss those days.  Ohmigosh, I'm about to cry again.
  • "It is our duty to carry this emotional burden for her."  TEARS.
  • It doesn't help me that they call her grandma "Nai Nai", which is very close to what we called my paternal grandmother: "Nanay".  Nanay never commented about touching my butt when I became an adult, though.
  • I love the relationship between Billi and her grandma.  It was very sweet.
  • I'm such a shipper that I totally wanted her to stay in China to look after her grandma, so that she could hook up with the cute English-speaking doctor so that her grandma could throw another wedding banquet.
  • "What do you want me to tell her? That she's on the roof?"
  • Loved it when Billi was saying hello to all of her aunties, just the way her Nai Nai told her.
  • So, did they actually get married, or was it all a ruse?
  • Billi's scene in which she's telling her mom how she felt when they left China reminds me that I have something non-movie related to post very soon.  
I loved this movie.  I look forward to seeing it again whenever I don't have to be in a theater with that guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment