Sunday, July 14, 2019

I Believe In Yesterday

Today, I watched "Yesterday".  I thought about seeing it yesterday, then I thought then that I would just see it "tomorrow".  I've just confused myself, so here are my thoughts on this film about a world where nobody remembers the Beatles.

  • We take a lot of these songs for granted now, but if you listen to the words as if you were first hearing them, like Jack's friends did, they would still have a lot of meaning.  Seeing them cry when they heard "Yesterday" was quite moving.
  • Hamish Patel does a really nice job singing the songs, and I liked his portrayal of Jack, too. 
  • The moment I saw Ellie look at Jack, I thought, "she loves him."  Boys are so blind sometimes. Lily James is so sweet in this role.
  • "I've been waiting half of my life just waiting for you to love me."
  • I love all of the outcomes of the searches he did on Google.  Pope John Paul.  Ha!
  • What?!  No Coca-Cola, either?  
  • What kind of a crazy person has a recording studio right next to a working railroad track?  Gavin, I guess.
  • Wait, that's actually Ed Sheeran!  Why do I not have any of his albums?  I like a whole bunch of his songs.  One moment please while I add him to my Amazon list.
  • OK, so I added whatever I could get on Prime from Ed Sheeran as well as the Beatles.  That's a lot of songs.
  • "You look like that Ed Sheeran."  "I am Ed Sheeran."  "Oh.  Good on you."
  • I don't know how he was able to remember so many songs, but I'm glad they showed his struggle to remember the lyrics, especially for "Eleanor Rigby".  
  • "Two teeth missing?  It's like a rabbit but in reverse."
  • "It's one of the greatest songs ever written."  "Well.  It's not Coldplay.  It's not 'Fix You.'"
  • Kate McKinnon makes me laugh a lot.  'You're skinny but somehow round."
  • "How did I get into the wrong column?"
  • I cried a couple of times during the movie, but I was almost inconsolable when Jack went to the house on the beach.
I really liked this movie!  It's funny, and it's romantic, and it's got great music, and there's a quirky premise.  It's my kind of movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment