Monday, November 19, 2012

From Star Wars South

Carrie Fisher - Any Questions?
Friday, October 26, 2012 -- 7:30 pm
Brea Improv

I enjoyed Carrie Fisher's HBO Special, so when I saw that she would be having a show in Brea, I invited my buddy Linda, and we met there for dinner.  As we stood outside in line, I noted that the marquee said "Carrie Fisher From Star Wars", and lamented that people really should know who she is besides that movie, but the kids today probably don't know her unless she's referenced that way.  

When we were seated, I got a little worried, because we were right up front, like my knees could touch the very small stage.  The set was a couch, coffee table, a throw rug, and a lamp or two, with a big screen behind the couch.  As we ate dinner and had a wonderful conversation with also-worried tablemates Sarah and Jeff, I noticed that people were placing question cards on the coffee table.  I had asked a question when I bought the tickets online (the system wouldn't let me finish my transaction without one), so I didn't write another one.  I also noticed some pens, and 4 cans of Diet Coke, and a couple of glasses of ice.  Those didn't all turn out to be pens, though.  One of them was an e-cigarette, to which she wondered if she would get e-cancer.
  • Ms. Fisher entered from the back of the middle aisle, with her dog Gary on a leash.  She had glitter on her eyelids, and Gary had glitter on his back.  So cute!  
  • Gary was restless for a bit and Carrie was distracted by his antics.
  • Carrie also noted the marquee, and said that she's actually "from Star Wars South...I'm from the wrong side of the tracks."
  • She played some of "The Star Wars Holiday Special", and even sang along with herself.  I don't remember ever seeing it before, but it seems that may have been a good thing.
  • When someone asked about her taping her breasts for Star Wars, she showed the clip as to why that was done.
  • Carrie was also distracted by the journalist blogger sitting at the table behind us, because he was writing down every word she said.  Hmmmm...sounds familiar.  I tried to find his website so that I could link to it here, but I couldn't find it.  At one point, she even asked to look at his notes, then threatened to make him take his shirt off.
  • Instead, some other guy took his shirt off for the line from "Soapdish", and she had a senior citizen woman get up on stage to hug him.  
  • Most of the questions were about Star Wars.  When she did mention her mom at one point, a gal in the office asked MY question -- "How is she?"  She's fine and performing and living next door to Carrie when she's not in Branson or Nashville or wherever she was.
  • She did talk about her past drug use, which started during "The Blues Brothers", and was also happening during the filming of "The Empire Strikes Back".  I'll now watch the scene of Billy Dee kissing her hand with the knowledge that they were all still blitzed from partying the previous night.
  • Carrie really wants to have a drag Slave Leia contest.  She just needs to go to Comic Con, I think.
  • Linda and I felt like we were sitting in her living room, listening to her tell stories, because she had eye contact with us numerous times, and even asked Linda what she said about Gary when Linda was just kind of whispering to me.  
It was an evening of hilarity.  It makes me want to watch "Wishful Drinking" again.  Actually, I could watch "Wishful Drinking" just about any time. If you haven't yet, take a gander.  She's awesome, even for a girl from the wrong side of the tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment