Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Atticus the Brave

Fathom Events held a screening of "To Kill A Mockingbird" on November 15, and Linda, Sheridan and I were excited to be able to see the movie on a big screen.  


  • There was a line outside the theater, which turned out to be a line for the opening weekend of the final Twilight movie.  Kids today!  But we did see a family with kids in the row in front of ours, and I pointed them out to my friends, saying "Good parenting."  They agreed.
  • Gregory Peck is just outstanding.  If I didn't have such a great dad already, I would wish that Atticus was my dad.  But then I'd be attacked by some racist drunk dude, so maybe not.
  • I liked hearing the stories about the kids during casting and filming, like how Philip Alford just auditioned so that he could get out of school for the day, and how Mary Badham would flub her lines on purpose so that she could stay on set longer.
  • I didn't know that Robert Duvall was even in this movie, much less playing Boo Radley.  This was his film debut.
  • I always forget the meaning of the title, then I hear it again and it makes sense all over again.  
  • Yay! Alice Ghostley!  This was her film debut also.
  • My friends had their tissues ready before the movie even started.  Yeah, I needed the tissue, too.  We needed to sit for a while in the theater to soak it all in before leaving, because Linda was still emotional.  It was kind of weird to hear the lounge-type music from the theater while we were still sitting there, though.
Great movie.  Still.  If you haven't seen it, or if you haven't read the book, you need to do so.

3 comments:

  1. Did you know that Peck is interred in the Mausoleum at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels? I found that out during one of my Jury Duty lunch hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that Peck is interred in the Mausoleum at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels? I found that out during one of my Jury Duty lunch hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I had heard that when I was there (during jury duty, too!), but I had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete