Monday, November 26, 2012

A Cappella Goodness, College Style

Southern California A Cappella Music Festival (SCAMFEST)
Friday, November 9, 2012
Bridges Auditorium, Pomona College


After a long work day, I met up with Jeff and Wendy, whom I followed a little bit in the parking structure after driving around campus for awhile.  The line was REALLY long to get into the auditorium, but we were still able to sit together in the center section, albeit toward the back and on the aisle.  


  • The event was hosted by The Claremont Shades, whom did little Award Presenter-type announcements between the different groups.  They also opened and closed the show.
  • Mood Swing sang songs that I wasn't familiar with, so if I didn't already feel old surrounded by college kids, I felt older listening to songs that they all probably knew.
  • Bruin Harmony was a lot of fun, especially with "Rehab" and "Starships".
  • Ah, girl groups.  Thanks for keeping the tradition alive, Women's Blue & White.
  • After School Specials has some cool vocal percussion going on, beatbox style.  I liked the soloist/duet for "Payphone".
  • MIdnight Echo has funky pants.  I'm just saying.
  • Wow, Reverse Osmosis rocks!  Their female soloist is amazing, especially in "Find My Way".
  • Why can't I remember anything about Men's Blue & White except that they were all-male, and the oldest a/c group out here in the west?  Yes, I see their repertoire in my program.  Can't remember.  Duh.
  • Yes, I remember the Kosher Chords, mostly because of that one girl's dress.  They sang a song that I love, "Carry On My Wayward Son".
  • Scattertones had a really nice sound, especially in "Paradise".
  • 9th Street Hooligans are obsessed with Lip Gloss.  :)
  • The SoCal Vocals are an embarrassment of riches.  Seriously. They have the incredible sound, the cool arrangements, and the awesome moves.  Backflips?  Who can compete with that?!  Not that I'm surprised, because they've always been great.  "Tight Rope" just completely killed.  
The event was a lot of fun, and it was good to see some a cappella with Jeff & Wendy, although it did make me miss Rockapella even more than I already do.  Somebody needs to get me out of this withdrawal yuckiness.



No comments:

Post a Comment