Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Elementary, My Dear

I had planned to see “Avatar” in 3-D IMAX when I arrived at the AMC, but the show time was already sold out. So I bought a ticket for the next show, and had plenty of time to see another movie while waiting. I chose “Sherlock Holmes”, which I had been eager to see since I first saw the trailer.



  • I love me the RDJ. He’s maturing well, becoming more distinguished in his face. The lines of his face add a nice character to his appearance. It’s just unfair that men get to look better as they age. Well, at least *this* one does. ;)

  • I really liked the cerebral aspect to Sherlock Holmes, and RDJ plays this well. I haven’t read any of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s literature, but if it’s anything like what RDJ delivered in this sense, then I think that I’d enjoy it.

  • The parts of the action sequences that I enjoyed was the way he would figure out how to disable his opponent methodically. It makes me wonder if that’s how professional boxers do it.

  • Jude Law, not yet having those lines on his face, looks a little bit young to be Holmes’ best friend, but I did like him as the oft put-upon Watson.

  • The relationship between Holmes and Watson amused me. I liked that Holmes was worried that he’d lose his best friend to a woman, and made sure that Watson knew of her past. Not that I’d want that to happen to me, but it was just sweet to see that Holmes was afraid of being alone.

  • I liked that Mary was such a fan of the detective work that she would talk about other cases. I think that this probably warmed Holmes to her, because it reassured him that Watson wouldn’t be going anywhere far.

  • I wasn’t sure whether or not I liked Rachel McAdams in her role. I don’t know if it was the character or the actress herself, though. I did like that she and Holmes had a past and that she was the beautiful bad girl, but I don’t know why I didn’t really buy into her all that much. I guess it’s because I couldn’t figure out if I was supposed to like her or not.

  • The story itself wasn’t as interesting to me as the little flashbacks on how certain things were accomplished, such as how Holmes got all the way down to the coach where Irene was meeting with Moriarty.

  • I liked the score for this film, and it's no wonder. It's Hans Zimmer, of course!

  • The ending has us set up for a possible sequel, which makes sense. Holmes needs to have more cases to solve, right?

I enjoyed this movie, although probably not as much as I hoped to. I would be interested in seeing a sequel if there is one. Or maybe I should just pick up a book or two. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment