Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Little Sugar Goes A Long Way

Presidential Inauguration Trip: Day 3

Sunday, January 18, 2009

We woke up this morning to pick up James from the sitter's house, and finally obtained coffee for Marg at Panera.  (Marg had been suffering without coffee for a few days already).  I had a yummy carrot-walnut muffin, and a chai latte.  I may go back there one of these days to try out their Egg Souffle.  Sounds interesting.

Marg dropped Liz and me off at home while she and James went to church, and we lounged around for a few hours before they got home.  By that time, I had eaten part of the extra cookie that Liz had conveniently purchased at Panera, and James saw the rest of it and asked if he could have some.  I swear, I only gave him a bite that was no bigger than 2 inches in diameter.  He seemed fine for awhile.

We didn't go in person to see the free concert for Obama at the Lincoln Memorial because it would have been cold and we didn't want James outside, plus the schedule would have been very tight.  Instead, we watched the concert on free HBO, then realized that there might be a lot of traffic after the concert was over, so we went out shopping for a little bit at the Landmark mall.  James was rambunctious by this point, but amusing to the salespeople there as he checked himself out in the floor mirror of the shoe department.  Yeah, I bought shoes.  They were pretty, I had been looking for that style for awhile, and they were on sale.  Of COURSE I bought shoes!  I also bought some pretty sterling silver earrings with pale green stones and what looks like Japanese or Chinese characters on it.  I need to figure out what those say.  Well, James eventually had a meltdown, and it was blamed on the slow release of sugar from my chocolate chip cookie.  SORRY!  I did get permission, you know.

We went for some take-out at Famous Dave's BBQ, which took a long time, but was good.  We ate our BBQ while watching the rest of the HBO special as it re-aired.  James wanted to eat the Oreo cookies that came with his meal, but no.  When Samuel L. Jackson started to speak, James looked at the TV and said aloud, "Grandpa!"  I asked if Marg & Liz's dad looked like Sam Jackson, but apparently not.  Nor does he wear those types of hats.  Okay, whatever.  I just loved the fact that whenever Obama was shown, James would shout out, "Barack Obama!"  I love that his face has become so familiar to this 3-year-old boy's mind that he recognizes him on sight.  He also joined in the entertainment and played his guitar when people on TV were playing theirs.  After all, his mom did wake him up yesterday by calling out to him, "Hey, Rock Star!"  That's James' goal, actually, and when we showed him a real rock star, Bono, he wasn't as impressed as we were.  He did enjoy the James Taylor segment, though. I told him that was because his name is also James.

Well, unfortunately, our little Short One (as Liz called him today) started acting up again, and had another meltdown upstairs.  As we waited out the tantrum, Marg went downstairs and found the Oreo cookie wrapper opened and some of the cookie missing.  James denied opening the wrapper, and so did Liz and I.  We knew that someone had to be fibbing, and since Liz and I were continuing our mellow mood of the day, there was only one other answer, and that answer completely explained how second meltdown must have taken place.  James cried himself to sleep, naked, with his underwear beside him, at the doorway to the bathroom.  A True Rock Star.

2 comments:

  1. "I also bought some pretty sterling silver earrings with pale green stones and what looks like Japanese or Chinese characters on it. I need to figure out what those say."

    Have you figured out what they say yet? For all you know, it could say "kick me". ;) I've seen some cute t-shirts with designs on it that I like in J-town, but they also have Japanese characters, so since I have no clue what they say, I haven't bought the shirts. And no, I didn't ask anyone because I wouldn't necessarily trust them to tell me the truth!

    "When Samuel L. Jackson started to speak, James looked at the TV and said aloud, "Grandpa!" I asked if Marg & Liz's dad looked like Sam Jackson, but apparently not. Nor does he wear those types of hats. Okay, whatever."

    But would he know the difference between Jeff Daniels, Bo Bridges and Bill Pullman? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to show you the earrings, so you can at least tell me if they're Chinese or Japanese.

    No, James will not know the differences between the blond white actors.

    ReplyDelete