Sunday, October 17, 2021

SG Ep 1: Red Light Green Light

 Squid Game

Episode 1: "Red Light, Green Light"

I had discussed with some folks that I want to watch "Squid Games" on Netflix, and decided that today is the day I would start binge watching the series.  V wanted to know what I thought, and I have too many thoughts to text after the first episode, so I'm going to write them here.  If you are familiar with my blog format, you know that I don't review movies like a movie critic.  It will continue this way.  Also, there will be MAJOR SPOILERS in every post.  I might start just doing a pseudo-live blog and write my thoughts as the show happens, but I'm not sure yet.  

  • OK, so this guy has got major financial issues.  Gambler, steals money from his mother to gamble some more, and he owes money to loan sharks.
  • Make soup out of his blood?  From his nose?  GROSS.
  • Who puts a lighter shaped like a gun in a claw machine filled with plush?  How sadistic are the people that provide the prizes?  And why didn't he check what was in the box before giving it to his daughter for her birthday?  Also, why didn't he just buy one from the kid?  I guess he does everything the hard way.
  • The daughter is so cute and forgiving.  I'm rooting for her.
  • I've never played the game that they were playing on the subway platform.  Maybe I'll make a couple of those things while I'm watching the show.  But I'm not going to play for slaps.
  • I don't know about being willing to get into some stranger's van, but I guess when you're desperate, it's just another thing to do.
  • I'm worried about rooting for player 001.   Am I allowed to root for more than one person?
  • Dude, that giant doll is creepy with her motion-detecting eyes.  And, oof. Brutal.
  • So why did that guy help our main guy by holding onto him?  I should really learn our main guy's name.
  • I do like the premise of using childhood games because people will usually know the rules already, and they're fairly simple to understand.  Unlike the Squid Game the narrator talked about at the beginning.  I'm still a little bit unclear about it.  Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention?
  • That frontman.  Can't someone just steal his suit/mask to access his private suite?
  • Who is narrating?  The frontman or our main character? 
I'm intrigued, but I need to take a shower.  It was a long Disneyland Day yesterday.  Be back in a little bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment