Sunday, February 10, 2019

Grab Him By the Persimmons

Rockapella in Modesto
Friday, November 16, 2018
Gallo Center for the Performing Arts
Modesto, CA  


I met up with Glenndy and Weff at the Ontario airport and experienced my first "give me one of your electronics so I can scan it" TSA screening.  Interesting.  I didn't sit next to any of them on the flight, but enjoyed my window seat for the short flight up to Sacramento.  Hi, Spider Bunny!  Long time no see!  Due to raging wildfires earlier that week, the air was thick with smoke, which we could smell from inside the jetway, and we could see from the airport terminal.  We all had trouble breathing at first once we got outside, and wondered if we should have brought masks.  

Wendy had done her homework and suggested we eat lunch at Iron Horse Tavern in Sacramento before making our trek down to Modesto.  What a great choice!  I needed to start the weekend off right and ordered alcohol to go with my Impossible Burger and house-made potato chips.  We all shared an order of beignets for dessert, which came with dipping sauces of vanilla bean creme anglaise, berry compote, and chocolate ganache. I need to come back here for weekend brunch sometime.


Vanilla Sky Cocktail


First Selfie of The Road Trip

Banh Mi Impossible Burger and Chips

Mmmm...beignets

Mmmm....dipping sauce


We then made our way to Modesto, Glenndy in a separate car from Weff and me.  As we traveled south, the smoke became thinner, but it was still smoky.  We checked into our hotel and got ready for the show.  The hotel had a cool electronic gizmo instead of the regular hotel information brochure.  

We parked at the structure near the venue, but the entrance was about a block away.  The Gallo Center is a beautiful venue, and Glenndy met us in the lobby. So did Nick!  Yay!  His and his friends' seats were right behind ours (we were in the front row), and one of his friends, Frank, sat next to me because we had an extra seat due to someone not being able to join us.  

Rockapella took the stage after the Marvel-ish comic book video played to introduce them.  Cindy hadn't seen that before, and recognized the theme song.  The guys were all dressed in all-black.

Rock Around the Clock

Jailhouse Rock
I got a mile from Bryant when I got excited about a part of the song, and got a wink from Mitch, too.  Hi, guys!

Scott asked who has seen Rockapella before.  "I remember some fans from other years."  He talked about the atmosphere, saying it was smoky, and that they were "sorry for what you're going through," and they were "hoping we can bring something happy."

Like JT's beat.  "That can part the smoke right there."

Dancing in the Moonlight

Don't Mess With Jim
Wait.  I never noticed before that JT doesn't join in until Bad, Bad Leroy Brown.  Scott's Junkyard Dog is awesome.

Scott introduced Cal but forgot where Cal was from.  

Satisfaction
I love when JT makes the sound effective of an arrow going through the air during Cupid.  Thanks for singing, Valerie!

The Middle
You go with that hip action, Mitch!

Moon River

Bryant's new mom-in-law is here!  

Loved JT's priceless look when Scott said this about him: "Jeff doesn't get to talk much because his mouth is very busy doing other stuff."

Scott:  I love California.  I lived in New York City, and they said, "Are you from California, man?  You look like a surfer from California."  

Paper Doll
JT was very bouncy.

L-O-V-E

Commercials
"Where in the world is..." Bryant: "Matt Lauer?" <looks at audience> "What?"  
Yeah, it's all awkward now.  I waved to JT because he pointed at us,

Linda from Oakdale joined the guys on stage.  
Scott: "Stanislaus doesn't sound like an INdian name to me, but I trust you because you're an educator."

Stand By Me (with Linda)
Ain't Too Proud to Beg

Macklemore
When Bryant first saw JT perform, he thought JT was doing the coolest thing ever.  He asked JT what he does on his tax forms.
JT: Lie.
JT:  Pro Spitter
Then they did a cool back-and-forth vocal percussion thing together!  I loved it.

Rock The Boat
(My notes say something about Mitch and his back pocket, and an exclamation point, but I can't read them anymore because it's more than 2 months later, so maybe somebody else can tell me what actually happened during this song).  

Carmen SanDiego / Shape of You

Encore

Boogie Tonight
This included Rapper's Delight and Uptown Funk and was a lot of fun.

"Valerie likes it."

Up On The Roof / Wonderful World (off mic)

Meet and Greet

I was able to catch up a little bit more with Nick, whom wouldn't be at the shows in Arroyo Grande.

NICK!

We were in one part of the lobby while others were buying stuff on the other side of the wall.  The guys walked out and talked to us for a while, and it was like we were having a little VIP meet and greet!   We got hugs from JT.  He gave me a kiss on the cheek, so I gave him one, too, and said, "Mwah!"  (George isn't reading this, right?  Oh, he kisses my hand, so it's probably OK.)  I got an air hug from Cal, because he had posted on instagram before the show and said that he wasn't feeling well.  Then Mitch saw me and sang "Sheeeeerrrrrry Baby!" 
Sher:  I love when you sing that to me!
Mitch: I know, that's why I do it. <squeeee!>
After we all talked for awhile, Mitch finally said, " Maybe we should go to the meet and greet."  Yes, let's acknowledge your other fans, shall we?

Hi, Robin!

I asked Scott if he moved to New York yet.  He said, "Yeah.  It's cold in New York."
Sher:  Are you, like, "I miss wearing my shorts every day"?
Scott:  I hadn't thought about that, but yeah.
Sher: It's good that you're near the kids, though.
We talked about how well the kids are doing with their music, and that they got performance genes from him and Lisa.
Scott:  I guess it was inevitable.
Sher:  They could be doctors and you'd be like, "what a failure you are".
Scott:  Ha!  No.

Wendy asked Scott how Princess was doing, and he told her that she saw snow for the first time, and still hasn't gotten shoes for her yet.  He told JeffEvs that New York is a dog-friendly town, with all kinds of dogs everywhere, which Scott now notices because he has a dog.

I told Cal that I wished he would feel better, and said he should get some rest.
Cal:  It comes from you guys, lifting me up from the front, and it kept me going.
Sher: I wish I could sing like you when I'm sick.  You still sound great.

Scott asked JeffEvs if we would be going to the show in Arroyo Grande.  JeffEvs said yes, he, Wendy, and I would be driving down.  Scott told Cal and JT asked me who was going.  I started to say "Weff" and realized that the guys don't know that nickname, so I stumbled verbally before saying "Wendy and Jeff".  JT heard "Lady" and said, "Lady? That's what you're calling her?  Like 'Lady and the Tramp'?"
Sher:  No, WENDY! (and gently touched his hand).
Scott and Cal simultaneously:  Wendy.  It's WENDY!

JT told JeffEvs that he and Fred would leave first in the morning.

I told Mitch that Weff allowed me to ride with them if I brought "games, entertainment, and..."
Mitch: "Cookies!"
Sher: No, I didn't bake, but I did bring snacks.
I told him that I made MadLibs and they were Rockapella-themed.  It seemed that he didn't understand me, so I explained to him what MadLibs were.  He told JT, and JT, after I corrected Mitch, said, "That's such a fan thing to do.  Oh, Sherry."
Sher:  "Oh, Jeff."

Mitch told me that Bryant was talking to people in the back, so I should go get him.  I started to look around, but didn't want to go where I wasn't allowed.

Wendy commented to Mitch on how he has so much energy.  She asked if he traveled today.  He said, "Yes, I get energized when I travel."

Bryant finally made his appearance at the meet and greet.
Wendy:  Now, you're MISTER Bryant Vance.
Mitch:  What am I?
Bryant:  You're junior.  You're master.  
This exchange makes me think that Mitch is the LEGO Robin to Bryant's LEGO Batman.

We waited to get a picture with all of the guys.  Robin gave persimmons to the guys at the table.  Cal had never had them before.  Scott put hit in his back pocket.  Mitch told me to get Scott in this manner: "grab him by the persimmons".  I started to reach out a few times and just couldn't do it.
Mitch:  You know you want to.
Sher:  I kinda do, but I'm scared.  I don't want to get in trouble.
Mitch  You won't get in trouble.
Sher: Maybe not with him, but with Lisa?
Then Mitch full out told Scott that I wanted to grab him by the persimmons.  I subsequently hid behind JeffEvs and didn't want to look Scott in the eye for the rest of the night.

Mitch then told me to get JT.  I asked him why he wouldn't do it.
Mitch:  It's your job.
Sher:  How did that become my job?  You're his bandmate!  Besides, he's counting money.
Bryant: He's fast.

JeffEvs talked to Fred about the new microphones due to government regulations requring a different frequency.  All I know is that they're shiny.

I finally got everyone together.  I guess I'm the designated cat-herder now?

Don't ask me where my other hand is.  I can't remember if they're anywhere near any persimmons. 


After saying bye to the guys and Nick and wishing them safe drives, we walked to a restaurant nearby called "Tresetti's".  Their bar area was quite lively and loud, but we were seated in a much quieter part of the restaurant.  
Caesar salad with anchovy fillets


Prosciutto Wrapped Lollipop Scallops


The food was delicious!  We wondered if we could just take bottles of wine with us because they were just sitting there on the shelves, but someone said there were probably cameras on us.  I mean, it's not like I NEED more wine, right?  We said bye to Glenndy and went back to our hotel.  

Ah, what a fun-filled night!  I don't think I'll ever look at dried persimmons the same way again.

Next up: Arroyo Grande

No comments:

Post a Comment