Sunday, October 14, 2018

One Giant Leap

After getting some much-needed work done (yes, on a Sunday - ugh!), I rewarded myself by watching "First Man" in IMAX.


  • Great sound effects.  I felt like I was in the spacecraft / aircraft, it was incredibly realistic.
  • Very nice shot of the reflection of the horizon on Armstrong's helmet in the first scene.
  • I knew that some men died in NASA's efforts to finally get to the moon, but I hadn't thought of how it must effect the other astronauts whenever it happened.  They were very brave to carry on toward the goal.
  • Claire Foy did a great job of being the strong wife, afraid for her husband and for her kids.
  • "Your dad's going to the moon."  "Ok.  Can I go play outside?"
  • "Somebody got a Swiss Army knife?"
  • Even Ryan Gosling's fingers are sexy.  There.  I said it.  Also, he's a great actor, and I cried along with him after the funeral.
  • I especially liked the part of the score when they were piloting the Eagle: it was very intense, unlike the rest of the score, which was subdued.
  • Love that they showed part of JFK's speech.  This video was shown in my leadership training earlier this year, exemplifying a leader with vision.  "We choose to go to the moon."  Quite inspirational.
  • "We make all the mistakes down here so that we don't make them up there!"
  • "Roger, Tranquility, we copy you on the ground. You've got a bunch of guys about to turn blue. We're breathing again. Thanks a lot."
I wish that I could hear from my parents what they thought of the moon landing.  I asked them about it, and they said we had just immigrated and didn't own a TV or a radio.  I wish I could've told y'all that I was listening / watching along as a baby, but no.  I'll just have to make do with movies like this one, as well as the real footage.  What an amazing feat.

No comments:

Post a Comment