Saturday, January 6, 2018

Floating Rocks

My friends and I went to the El Capitan on opening night to see "Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi".  I mean, how could I not go?  It's STAR WARS!  When we arrived, they were still cleaning up after the marathon session of the other seven movies, but at least we got to see the AT-AT in front of the theater.

Not life-sized, but it was BIG.


AT-AT Butt
AT-AT Middle

The line to enter was long, but moved quickly by the time we arrived. I wanted to get a picture with the Stormtroopers because I was wearing my Hello Kitty Stormtrooper shirt, and I was the last one allowed to do so, but the woman who took it for me totally messed up and that irritated me because she didn't even let me check the picture before she shooed me away.  Luckily for me, I have previous pictures with Stormtroopers.  

I used the facilities and got my popcorn and drink, and sat down just in time before the trailers started.  The El Capitan being a Disney theater, we saw Disney/Pixar/Marvel trailers.  They all got folks excited, so that was fun.  Then we saw a really cool laser show and Rey did some light saber moves for us.  Cool!  There was a lot of red in the theater.

Imperial Guard in the box seat area


Then the Lucasfilm logo came up, and all was well.
  • I love that crawl.
  • Luke just tosses the light saber we've all waited for him to use again.  Silly Luke.
  • Chewie might as well have eaten that porg.  I mean, it was already dead, so now it died in vain just because of that little porg with the big eyes.  This is why I don't live on a farm.  I'd probably become a vegetarian.
  • Note to self: don't let Rey near any of my fragile items.
  • Is it wrong that I giggle when Hux gets worried and makes that face?
  • Finn. Naked. Wet.
  • "The Falcon?  Wait.  Where's Han?"  Ouch. Too soon!
  • I want one of those horse goat things.
  • Leia using the Force!  Yes!
  • Aw, the R2 - Luke reunion!  "That was a cheap move."
  • YODA!!!  "Young Skywalker.  Missed you, I have."
  • That tree was in the shape of the Rebellion symbol!  Or the fire was.  Or both.
  • The scene between Luke and Leia had me crying immediately.  "I know what you're going to say.  I've changed my hair."
  • "Blast that piece of junk OUT OF THE SKY!!!!!"  Dude needs anger management therapy.
  • Luke brushing off his shoulder after all of the Imperial gunfire: that reminds me of the Vanguard drummers doing that in their shows. Yes, even during Star Wars, I think of drum corps.
  • The second time I watched this film, I noticed that one of the clues that Luke wasn't really there was the fact that when he slid his foot, the ground did not change from white to red, like it did for Kylo Ren.
  • Plenty of battles in this film to like, but my favorite was Kylo & Rey vs. Imperial Guard.
  • Did anyone else notice that there were a lot of shots of people's hands?
  • I don't think I realized until my second viewing of the film that Kylo's helmet was a tribute to his grandfather.  DUH.
  • I want one of those crystal critter things, more than I want the horse goat thing.
  • So is Phasma dead?  Because I like her.  Also, I like my Phasma purse.
  • Wait.  Did that kid use the Force to pick up his broom?  Is he going to ride the broom someday?  Oh, wrong franchise.
  • "In loving memory of our princess."  With Leia's theme.  TEARS.

Afterward, we went downstairs to look at the costumes used in the film.


General Leia Organa costume

Rey and Kylo Ren costumes

Luke costume

By the time we got outside, they had started dismantling the AT-AT.

Decapitated AT-AT

I really enjoyed the movie, and hope I can see it a third time before it leaves theaters.

Until the next one, May The Force Be With You.  Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment