Sunday, March 19, 2017

A Rose for his Daughter

Instead of going to a Friday night showing, my friends and I went to a Saturday showing at the El Capitan for the live action "Beauty and the Beast".

As we were waiting to go into the theater, we could hear the soundtrack playing, but I didn't want to hear it yet. I know the story and all of that, but I could hear that some of these songs were new, and that was a spoiler for me.  We had also taken a look in the store and I decided that I wanted to return there afterward to purchase a couple of things.





I like the posters in the theater as they were all the characters coming to life, as if we were in a Harry Potter movie.  The theater was all sparkled up for the show, with a new Swarovski Crystal curtain, a spring garland hanging between the very sparkly chandeliers, and lamps on the box seats.  I didn't know what these were until I saw them in the film, though.




  My friends and I were not all sitting together, but a few of us were near each other, so I made them take a selfie with me.  

Say "BEAST!"

After we saw the trailers, images of animated rose petals were shown on the curtain, and it was time for the movie.


  • Beast's castle on the Disney logo!  YES!
  • I like that we saw more of the background of Beast's story.  Interesting that Mrs. Potts blamed herself and the others for not doing anything to stop him from being so selfish.
  • Audra!  I also like that we got to see what everyone looked like before the transformation, as well as what happens to them when the last petal falls.
  • It seems that they played "Belle" in a lower key, perhaps to adapt to Emma Watson's lower voice.  I did like the way that she paused at certain words for emphasis, although she is clearly not a musical theater vocalist.
  • "Two lovers in fair Verona".  Beast ranting about the Romeo and Juliet story was hilarious.  I do miss the plot of Belle teaching Beast how to read, though.
  • "Was that a joke?  Are you doing jokes now?"
  • Why are the villagers so mean to Belle that they had to ruin her laundry?  What IS that?
  • I think that I cried in every scene with Belle and Maurice, except maybe the escape scene.  That love between them has always been the heart of the story for me.
  • Gaston and the mirror.  So very Gaston.
  • Interesting that the woods turn to winter weather when Maurice gets closer to Beast's castle.  I miss the clever signs from the animated version, though.
  • I would have liked to see Belle be more excited during "Be Our Guest".  I mean, hello, they put on a huge production number for you!  I know she's sad that she's there and she's not with her father, but she could at least show a little more surprise.
  • Agrabah!
  • Whoa, Beast, that is HUGE snowball, and you hit her face!  How did she not have a big, bruised Marcia Brady nose after that?
  • "I've seen Defense of the Dark Arts before, but this is something else." -- Hey, I see what you did there.
  • "I think we let the wrong monster out."
  • "Someone turn me back into a clock, please!"
  • I do wish that they had incorporated the songs from the musical theater rendition.  I heard "Home" in the score at one point, though, and it made me smile.
  • Love that Cadenza's teeth were missing when he became human because he spit his piano keys at the villagers during the battle.
  • "How do you feel about growing a beard?"  "Rrrawrr!"
  • My favorite portrayal in this film was Josh Gad as LeFou.  Funny as always, and I rooted for him at the end.
While I didn't like the film as much as I loved the animated feature, I did enjoy it.  Out of all of the props on display, I liked the enchanted rose the most.

Made by Swarovski

Music box by Maurice

"I use antlers in all of my decorating"

Lumiere's costume

Belle's and Beast's costumes

Cogsworth's costume

At the store,  I bought the Deluxe CD of the soundtrack and score because I really like Josh Groban's rendition of "Evermore".  I also bought the pretty compact mirror with a rose.  I also bought Ariel stuff there and at Hot Topic, because, well.. ARIEL!  


No comments:

Post a Comment