Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Cornhusker State

The Oscars Best Picture Nominee viewing continues with "Nebraska", which I saw at the Krikorian.  I had to get popcorn, because Nebraska = CORN.


  • Didn't really see a lot of corn in the movie.
  • I didn't know that this was done in black and white until I saw it.  How did I miss that in all of the clips that I'd seen beforehand?
  • June Squibb is so very deserving of her nomination for Supporting Actress.  She was hilariously blunt.  I now know why Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were cheering her name at the Golden Globes.
  • How does Bruce Dern say so much with so few words?  Brilliant.
  • Will Forte also does a great job here, just trying so hard to deal with reality and making his dad happy at the same time.
  • Stacy Keach singing "In the Ghetto".  Didn't think I'd ever see that happen, but I got a kick out of it.
  • The air compressor.  Funny.  What is that for, anyway, and why was it so darn important?
  • Most of the 15 people in the theater with me looked like they could have been cast in this film.  Especially the senior couple that talked to each other during the film.  
  • I think I'd go nuts with boredom if I lived in Hawthorne, Nebraska.
  • I really liked the character of Peg a lot, but I'm glad that he married Kate.
  • I love that so many cast members were real Nebraskans who had never acted before the film.  (Take a look at the "Stories" pages on the official website).
Good film.  Very much an Academy-type film.



No comments:

Post a Comment