Sunday, February 23, 2014

I'm The Captain Now

I didn't get to see "Captain Phillips" while it was in theaters, so I rented it on Pay-Per-View.

  • Tense.  This movie made me tense, even in the confines of my comfy den.
  • Tom Hanks is wow.  At the end, I found myself crying a lot more than I thought I would, which was probably due to the tension relief.  I've never been in shock, but I'm guessing that it's just like he portrayed.
  • These are not the accordion-playing, rum-drunk Pirates of the Caribbean that Disney told us about.  
  • Barkhad Abdi.  I'm not sure if I was supposed to feel emotions for this guy.  I mean, he's a pirate!  But I did anyway.
  • Perhaps Muse should not given Captain Phillips a nickname, because it made him have some kind of affection for him.
  • I didn't think that I was familiar with Henry Jackman's work, but maybe I'm just not remembering the scores for "Wreck It Ralph" and "X-Men: First Class" well.  His score did add to the intensity of the situation.  I'm getting tense just listening to it on the website.  Note to self:  don't listen to this before you try to go to bed.
  • Wait.  The ship's name was the Alabama?  Roll, tide!  OK, now I want to watch Denzel man a submarine again.  Oh, the Maersk Alabama.  Still want to see Denzel.
  • "You said you're a businessman!  Is this how you do business?"  Dude, I thought he was going to die right there.
  • It's a shame that Tom Hanks didn't get an Oscar nomination for his role in this film, but the Best Actor race is crazy-competitive this year.  
Don't see this movie if you're looking for a relaxing jaunt on the ocean.  See it, though, if you're looking for a good movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment