Sunday, June 9, 2013

Undateable

On Friday night, my friends and I celebrated a birthday by going to dinner at Technique, which was quite yummy, and seeing a movie at the Laemmle Theatre, called "Frances Ha".


  • Ahoy, Sexy!
  • At first, I thought that maybe Frances and her best friend Sophie were a lesbian couple, but they're both straight women.  They were just really close to each other in a lot of scenes.  I don't think that my best friend and I would sleep together in the same bed if we had other beds available, but some people don't care about personal space as much as others, I guess.
  • I needed to get used to the editing because it was a bit choppy to me, but then afterward, I thought, "Hmmm....maybe it's that way because Frances is such a mess, and that's how she sees the world."
  • Greta Gerwig does a great job in this role.  She's hilariously awkward, which can be painful to watch, but that's how people are when they're misfits.
  • Hey, those were Greta Gerwig's real parents!  I wonder if they filmed at their real house in Sacramento.
  • This one of those movies about New York which make me glad that I don't live there, because of the high rent and the difficulty of finding a place to live on an artist's budget.  $950 to sleep on someone's couch?!
  • It was kinda surreal to be hearing David Bowie's "Modern Love" while I was sitting with friends with whom I spent tons of time when the song was popular.
  • Loved when Frances said that people profess to be less self-centered when they had a child, but Frances noted that no, they're still focused on themselves, because that's a little version of them.  (Parents don't like to be told that, especially at a dinner when you just met them, Frances).
  • Yes, Frances is a mess.  She made me feel better about myself because I realized that I'm not quite as much of a mess as I sometimes think I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment