Sunday, June 23, 2013

Drumming with Monsters


I met up with my friends at the El Capitan Theatre for opening night of Monsters University.  The organist was wearing a Monsters U letterman jacket instead of his usual tuxedo.  Cool!  I was eager to see some drums, and was disappointed at first when I heard tracks while the cheerleaders first got on stage.  But then the drummers marched down the aisle and I was happy.  The bass drum solo was one beat.  Funny!  I would have rather just watched them without the cheerleaders,, but I did like the cheerleaders' Sully leg warmers.  

The Pixar short was "The Blue Umbrella".  I'm going to be seeing eyes on all kinds of inanimate objects now, and trying to figure out if they're smiling or frowning.  Thanks for freaking me out, Pixar!  The short was very cute, though.  Ou est ma parpalui bleu?

On to the main attraction.
  • Lots of marching drums throughout the score.  Sherry is happy.
  • I want plush of little Mike Wazowski!  He's so cute with his braces! He's also cute with the retainer.
  • I saw the ball and the A113, but I didn't see the Pizza Planet truck.  Did I miss it?  What else did I miss?
  • The Dean was Cool Scary.  I couldn't figure out the voice during the movie, but when I saw that she was voiced by Helen Mirren, I thought, "Of course!"
  • Team PINK has awesome eyes.
  • Aw, the mom has my name! I now need that monster in plush form.
  • I like that the exercises they were doing were the same ones that Mike has Sully doing in Monsters, Inc.
  • So THAT'S why Randall hates them so much!
  • Scary pig!  Cindy sang those words in place of "Spider-Pig" afterward.
  • Yay!  Abominable!
  • I like seeing how Sully and Mike became friends.  You know I love those origin stories!  
  • Loved seeing Mike's teddy bear.
  • During the credits, I saw V's friend Cameron's name, and pointed it out.   But it was the credit to The Blue Devils that had me and Glenn clapping loudly and cheering.  What a great way to start off my 1st of 2 drum corps vacations this year!  Naturally,  I had to go right to the Studio Store and purchase the soundtrack for our listening pleasure on the road trip  this weekend.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment