Friday, June 21, 2013

Steely Man

Linda and I decided that we wanted to make a double feature out of our movie day on Sunday, so we went to the Arclight in Pasadena.  First up, for me, the long-awaited "Man of Steel".  The trailers made me cry because I was excited and because they were beautifully shot, so I was eager to see what the movie would be like.


  • I never pictured Krypton as a planet with different animals, like flying dragon-like things.  Interesting.  I don't know what those weird things were that were talking to Jor-El, but OK, it worked for me.
  • Wow, they got some good kids to play the part of Clark.  They made their eyes all look the same as he grew up, too.  I'm assuming that was all CGI, because that blue is amazing and how would all of them have those eyes?  Anyway, they were gorgeous.
  • My friend Christine worked on this movie!  I wonder if she worked on the eyes.
  • Hey!  One of the kids' names was Fordman.  That's a character from "Smallville".  I loved that show.  It was about Superman, hello!
  • So, no Lex, huh?  I guess we'll have to wait until the sequel.  
  • Loved seeing Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as the Kents.  Great portrayals.
  • I like Russell Crowe again.  I like seeing him as the rugged Jor-El.
  • "It means Hope".  "Well, here, it's an 'S'."
  • My friend told me that there were some allusions to Jesus Christ in the movie, which were placed there on purpose.  Interesting, and I did see some stuff....like that Clark is 33 years old.  That's the age that Jesus  was when he died on the cross.
  • I've never seen a Superman/Clark with hair on his chest before.  Looks good!
  • So, all of those buildings that they broke....where the heck was the Daily Planet working at the end?  Did Supes rebuild everything?  Because, hello, Metropolis was a huge mess.
  • Lots of drums/percussion in the score -- that's Hans Zimmer for ya!  I was kind of hoping for a theme that I could remember later, but then that would be weird because my favorite film score of all time is John Williams' Superman, and I'd probably be irritated.  So it's better this way. 
  • I so totally would have been like Amy Adams if I got to work with Henry Cavill.  I"d be giggling all day, too.  I mean, LOOK at him!  She's a great Lois, by the way, even though she's not the brunette we're used to seeing in the other versions.  I like the way she just really embodies Lois like we all know her to be.
  • Cried twice.  I'll let you guess when those times happened.
  • Not only is he gorgeous (he's the new wallpaper on this here laptop), but Cavill is great at his portrayal of Kal-El/Clark.  I mean, WOW.  Here's a hint:  it was his reactions to the two events that made me cry.
  • I'm glad that the movie did so well in its opening weekend (highest June debut ever).  Totally deserving.

No comments:

Post a Comment